Var debate 2019/20

It shouldn't have been handball under any interpretation, because the criteria for it to be handball were not met. Different phases of play are irrelevant and just serve to confuse the situation. The one simple fact of the matter is that Laporte did not gain possession or control of the ball, therefore it wasn't handball. I don't understand why this needs elaboration or further explanation.
But the ball hit Laporte's hand & deviated into the path of Jesus??????? This is a fact.

How the rule was interpreted afterwards, is this issue everyone is arguing about, & seeking clarification for.

Listen to the Wolves defender,

"I thought I would get the ball, but it bounced over my leg and I caught him yes it was a penalty "

Difficult to argue against that.
I think he's just embarrassed with his challenge. Leaden-footed and a sitting-duck for Pogba.

sorry bud you can't criticise someone elses' grasp of English then write that :)

That was my point. As if !!!

Of course I would say that now wouldn’t I - just like PGML and of course 2 commas would have helped.

I’m just commenting on a fans chat forum unlike IFAB who are writing the Laws of the Game for a multi billion dollar/pound/euro industry. One might expect better

Cheers

Last edited:

Of course I would say that now wouldn’t I - just like PGML and of course 2 comas would have helped.

I’m just commenting on a fans chat forum unlike IFAB who are writing the Laws of the Game for a multi billion dollar/pound/euro industry. One might expect better

Cheers
2 comas? You planning a very long sleep?

Given the crucial importance of the new Law 12, why have the media and others not scrutinised the way it has been applied ?

The argument, since Saturday, is that the decision to rule out the winning City `goal` was correct by the letter of the new law, setting aside views about the actual law itself. However a growing number do not agree with this initial consensus.

The new Rule 12 states:

"It is an offence if a player: gains possession / control of the ball after it has touched their hand / arm and then scores in the opponents’ goal or creates a goal-scoring opportunity".

The question is -after the ball had touched Laporte`s arm, did he gain possession / control of the ball and then create a goal scoring opportunity?

The answer rests on the meaning of the words possession / control and create. After it touched Laporte`s arm and instantaneously moved onwards, at no stage was he in possession of, nor did he control, the ball. Therefore he could not then create.

It was Jesus (not Laporte) who gained possession / control. It was not then a simple tap in but he still had a lot of creating to do before the goal was scored.

The `goal` should have stood based on the letter of the new Law 12.

Spot on. The trouble is if the law is now changed, we are the only team to have suffered. Maybe PIGMOL should invite all of the pundits/experts to Stockley again and go through the incidentsagain-televised of course!!!

Yes I'm surprised nobody has asked the refs to make a public statement answering the question, "What could Jesus have done when he received the ball to allow City to score a valid goal ? ". If the answer is "Nothing, the team gained possession from a handball ". Then what would be the point of playing on?
There isn’t, unless it enters a new “phase of play” I guess! So basically keep the ball for another minute and then hopefully create another chance! Although I’m sure they’d just go back and chalk it off anyway

Of course I would say that now wouldn’t I - just like PGML and of course 2 comas would have helped.

Cheers

One for Gary Nutter and t'other for Gozzy Carragher!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.