Home stereo/theatre systems.

I find it a bit depressing to be honest. Kids have grown up listening to mp3's on crappy earphones fed by a crappy amp in a crappy smartphone, and they think that is decent sound.

The numbers of people investing in high quality stereo separates systems, dwindles by the year, to the point it's become mainly the realm of geeks and dweebs. I doubt most people on this thread have ever actually sat and listened to a proper lossless digital source feeding a decent dac, poweramp and speakers. It's a COMPLETELY different experience to Sonos, isn't it.
I'm a dweeb for sure, although there are a few phones with very good audio - LG V20 and V30.

I agree that people no longer seem interested in high quality audio but Who needs “ lossless” digital or dacs?

I have lots of music on HDD in FLAC format.

I still prefer vinyl over any other source.

In my music room My traditional Linn/Naim set up doesn’t need them.

I also have a Naim Muso in the lounge and it is very good indeed.

Vinyl is remarkably good considering (considering it's technically rubbish), I agree. Whether a CD or Tidal stream played through a quality DAC sounds better is probably more dependent on the type of music, and the mix / mastering than the playback medium itself.

But this is a different debate compared to whether Spotify and Sonos is hifi, which of course it isn't.

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

After putting several systems through my trifecta (Steely Dan, New Order, John Coltrane) of a sound test, I went with the Denon HEOS system. For my needs it was perfect. Allows me to use their app to integrate and play my iTunes library as well as Pandora/SiriusXM/Amazon Music. And the best part - my turntable connects so I can play vinyl. In fact, not sure what they are doing to process the sound but the vinyl almost sounds “too clean”.

In the main room I paired with Bowers & Wilkins speakers. I got some bookshelf speakers along with a B&W sub. Sounds great - and I didn’t even get the most expensive models. And in another room on main floor I added the HEOS 5 wireless speaker. Nice to walk from room to room with continuous music.

The one thing that is hard to adjust to is no “power” button. Everything is activated from the app on my mobile devices.

Reading through this thread I am seriously thinking of getting a second hand separates system from ebay with a turntable etc. I have never really owned a hugely expensive system and only really bought the all in one hifi types, somewhere in the attic I still have my vinyl records, it would be interesting to hear the Beatles and Fleetwood Mac with static again.

I am looking to add Sonos speakers to my home and I understand that when I connect 1 Sonos device via ethernet cable to my router, the Sonos devices will create their own Wifi net. I need this option to be able to reach my kitchen where my normal home Wifi does not go without a repeater, and Sonos plus repeater is a no-go as I understand it.

Here is my question. Can Sonos in this configuration access music files stored on a laptop (Macbook), when this laptop is using the normal home Wifi, and not the Sonos private Wifi?

I hope some of you guys have experience with this and can help me out. I have googled but failed to find the information I am looking for.

I find it a bit depressing to be honest. Kids have grown up listening to mp3's on crappy earphones fed by a crappy amp in a crappy smartphone, and they think that is decent sound.

The numbers of people investing in high quality stereo separates systems, dwindles by the year, to the point it's become mainly the realm of geeks and dweebs. I doubt most people on this thread have ever actually sat and listened to a proper lossless digital source feeding a decent dac, poweramp and speakers. It's a COMPLETELY different experience to Sonos, isn't it.
Still got my 90's system. Marantz cd, audiolab amp, kef floorstanders and cambridge audio dac all with decent cables. Stream to it through a Bluetooth thingy if I'm just after background noise, but when I put the same album on on cd rather than Spotify the difference is night and day

I am looking to add Sonos speakers to my home and I understand that when I connect 1 Sonos device via ethernet cable to my router, the Sonos devices will create their own Wifi net. I need this option to be able to reach my kitchen where my normal home Wifi does not go without a repeater, and Sonos plus repeater is a no-go as I understand it.

Here is my question. Can Sonos in this configuration access music files stored on a laptop (Macbook), when this laptop is using the normal home Wifi, and not the Sonos private Wifi?

I hope some of you guys have experience with this and can help me out. I have googled but failed to find the information I am looking for.

To control or play music from my phone or laptop to the Sonos Soundbar , I have to be on the same wifi network . You could ask the Sonos support team on 08000261526. They're really helpful.

I've had a few decent hi-fi set ups but now we listen to all our music on Sonos

I have a Sonos Play 1 in the dining room, kitchen, one in my home office and a soundbar in the lounge with two rear Play 1's as satellites... there are better sounding rigs but ours is perfectly acceptable and a doddle to set up

I even have Alexa working on my phone with Sonos now as they issued a skill for it... I don't have the latest Sonos speakers either.

Debating whether I need a Sonos Sub for the lounge but SWMBO thinks the room is too small to warrant it...

Thats 'cos the thread was originally about Home Theatre / Cinema systems but developed into Hi Fi. I don't think you can beat Sonos for its sound and simplicity for home Cinema
Simplicity, perhaps. Sound? Good god no.

To suggest that Sonos can hold a candle to this (for example) is ridiculous;

Of course the two are not comparable in any way.

hero_desktop_1920_A_NEW-1500x561.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.