Var debate 2019/20

Because they didn’t point that out themselves when asked and instead justified the law. It does bear a resemblance, the difference to me is that the law implies it’s the same person doing the whole action rather than the team. I think it’s another example of where the laws of the game are written in such a way they’re deliberately ambiguous (which is always what causes the subsequent arguments as people struggle with differing interpretations still being allowed)

If there's a ref on the board, maybe we can get some clarity here.

I do not believe there is a single entry in the Laws of the Game that sanctions a team. Only individual players, and team officials can be penalised because only individual players and team officials can infringe the laws of the game.

The handball decision isn’t based on “clear and obvious error.” The Rodri decision was.
So they said before VAR started,they have veered off their own rules already so who knows,every man and his dog said it was a pen,that was clear and obvious but Swarbrick said they looked at in in slo mo multiple times, looking to not give it clearly,they said reviews would be in real time,they are breaking their own rules all over,just for us

The ref Michael Oliver got the decision right after a revue. It was handball because we gained an advantage from the handball even if it was not deliberate. However what is wrong is the laws of the game. If that had been a Spurs defender who was hit by the ball and it was then cleared that would not be handball. So is there someone out their who is right upto date with these new laws, that can explain it in plain English, as to what the rules are. As it just does not seem right to me.
As has been said several times on this and other threads the law is written in plain English on the IFAB website.

http://www.theifab.com/laws/chapter/32/section/92/

It is an offence if a player:
gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then:

• scores in the opponents’ goal
  • creates a goal-scoring opportunity
The Premier League seem to have summarised this law to mean if the ball touches any player on the hand/arm in the build up to the goal, they do reference the IFAB website for full details of the law.

The Refs, Pundits, Press etc. all seem to be ignorant of the actual law and are referencing the Premier League's "Executive Summary" rather than the Law itself.

So they said before VAR started,they have veered off their own rules already so who knows,every man and his dog said it was a pen,that was clear and obvious but Swarbrick said they looked at in in slo mo multiple times, looking to not give it clearly,they said reviews would be in real time,they are breaking their own rules all over,just for us
Not to get sideways, but I haven’t seen or heard of the statement that “clear and obvious mistakes” were ONLY going to be reviewed in real-time, although I have seen where they confirmed they saw no “clear and obvious error” in the Rodri incident....even though Oliver wasn’t looking at the time!!!

I think we can be safe in assuming that the bar for “clear and obvious error” is going to be set awfully high for one PGMOL official to overrule the PGMOL official on the field....especially where City are concerned! No-one wants to give us any “advantage” after winning the League twice in a row, and 6 of the last 7 domestic trophies. I guess they forget the so-called Liverpool and United “eras” we all had to live through?!

Now, of course, it is all about keeping the global money-train chugging along at a faster and faster pace, which means the teams touted as having the largest GLOBAL FAN BASE have to be allowed to win something!!

Connor Coady didn’t admit to the Ref or to VAR that it was a penalty during the game did he so that had no influence on the decision.
Pogba anticipated contact, played for it (dived), sticking out his leg and catching Coady flat footed in the process - Ref/VAR made their own decision = penalty. Rodri is strangled and then bundled to the ground - Ref/VAR decision = No penalty, simulation by Rodri.

The onfield ref has to make his call based upon what he saw of the incident at the time, the VAR has the luxury of being able to replay the incident multiple times. If I gave you 30 seconds to review the video footage then which of the two incidents is the more legitimate penalty claim? You might say both are and fair enough football is all about opinions but to try and cover up the Rodri incident and blame it on ‘looking for it/simulation’ is a blatant lie and to allow Pogba to get away with actually looking for it makes it twice as bad.

Cheating.
Institutional bias.
Corruption.

Take your pick
All three.

As has been said several times on this and other threads the law is written in plain English on the IFAB website.

http://www.theifab.com/laws/chapter/32/section/92/

It is an offence if a player:
gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then:

• scores in the opponents’ goal
  • creates a goal-scoring opportunity
The Premier League seem to have summarised this law to mean if the ball touches any player on the hand/arm in the build up to the goal, they do reference the IFAB website for full details of the law.

The Refs, Pundits, Press etc. all seem to be ignorant of the actual law and are referencing the Premier League's "Executive Summary" rather than the Law itself.

100% correct yet they link the IFAB guidelines from their site. The Premier league have not just summarized they have changed the wording, they have added "accidental" to the creating a goal scoring line, when it simply isn't there on the IFAB guidelines.

IFAB have specifically took the word accidental out and gone out of their way to say the player handling/creating has to have possession/control of the ball, and THEN create a goal scoring opportunity in the Laporte incident.

And then you have another argument entirely whether Jesus had a chance straight from the arm. Jesus had to touch the ball to the side and create the space/opportunity for himself.
What if Jesus beat 4 players and scored, did Laporte still create the opportunity or did Jesus create his own opportunity by beating 4 men?

Far far too many grey areas the way it is written now.

Not to get sideways, but I haven’t seen or heard of the statement that “clear and obvious mistakes” were ONLY going to be reviewed in real-time, although I have seen where they confirmed they saw no “clear and obvious error” in the Rodri incident....even though Oliver wasn’t looking at the time!!!

I think we can be safe in assuming that the bar for “clear and obvious error” is going to be set awfully high for one PGMOL official to overrule the PGMOL official on the field....especially where City are concerned! No-one wants to give us any “advantage” after winning the League twice in a row, and 6 of the last 7 domestic trophies. I guess they forget the so-called Liverpool and United “eras” we all had to live through?!

Now, of course, it is all about keeping the global money-train chugging along at a faster and faster pace, which means the teams touted as having the largest GLOBAL FAN BASE have to be allowed to win something!!
Clear and obvious includes goals,our goal wasn't a clear and obvious mistake as no-one saw it so it should have stood on that alone,the pen he didn't see so that was a clear and obvious mistake ,anyone still confused lol

From mike riley

VAR looks at four key areas: all goals scored; penalty kicks, whether they're awarded or not; direct red-card offences - not second yellow cards but straight reds; and any case of mistaken identity.

There will be a VAR and an Assistant VAR for each match at our hub at Stockley Park, outside London. They will look at those four key areas and can request from a replay operator any angles of incidents. The operator can provide them with replays in normal speed or in slow motion.

The officials will use that information to work out: "Is what the on-field match official team did clearly and obviously wrong in those four key areas?"

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1214130

I saw him on tv say they would look at clear and obvious decisions in real time

Clear and obvious includes goals

From mike riley

VAR looks at four key areas: all goals scored; penalty kicks, whether they're awarded or not; direct red-card offences - not second yellow cards but straight reds; and any case of mistaken identity.

There will be a VAR and an Assistant VAR for each match at our hub at Stockley Park, outside London. They will look at those four key areas and can request from a replay operator any angles of incidents. The operator can provide them with replays in normal speed or in slow motion.

The officials will use that information to work out: "Is what the on-field match official team did clearly and obviously wrong in those four key areas?"

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1214130

I saw him on tv say they would look at clear and obvious decisions in real time
I see what you are saying, but HANDBALL is not on that list. That said, the fact that Oliver didn’t see it (under the current WRONG interpretation we are all fighting against), it who knows if it would have been a CLEAR AND OBVIOUS ERROR under the current guidelines??

Imprecise language is causing confusion.

Obviously, I haven’t seen Riley’s comments on TV and can only go by what is written in the Laws of the Game, but in your comments, you say Riley said,

The operator can provide them with replays in normal speed or in slow motion.

The ref Michael Oliver got the decision right after a revue. It was handball because we gained an advantage from the handball even if it was not deliberate. However what is wrong is the laws of the game. If that had been a Spurs defender who was hit by the ball and it was then cleared that would not be handball. So is there someone out their who is right upto date with these new laws, that can explain it in plain English, as to what the rules are. As it just does not seem right to me.

Micheal Oliver didn't get the decision right , as it was the VAR operatives who indicated there was an " infringement " sufficient to rule out the award of a goal.

I see what you are saying, but HANDBALL is not on that list. That said, the fact that Oliver didn’t see it (under the current WRONG interpretation we are all fighting against), it who knows if it would have been a CLEAR AND OBVIOUS ERROR under the current guidelines??

Imprecise language is causing confusion.

Obviously, I haven’t seen Riley’s comments on TV and can only go by what is written in the Laws of the Game.
Here is where i am confused,the goal wasn't a clear and obvious mistake by the bottler but they can still disallow it for handball,why are they looking at it if it has to be clear and obvious? the rules are a nonsense that i don't think they understand either,most of them do not fit together,there are huge grey areas that shouldn't exsist in any system like this

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.