Home stereo/theatre systems.

James Randi has offered a $1m prize to anyone who can reliably tell some $7000 speaker cables in a double blind test compared to some $100 (still a rip off) cables. Nobody has won it yet.
I've tested some cables in the lab at work using high end signal generators and Spectrum analysers. I've also used real world music files and software (https://www.libinst.com/Audio DiffMaker.htm). The tests were set up so only the cables were changed (I/C's and speaker cables tested independently).

At audio frequencies (20hz to 20Khz and way beyond) there was absolutely no difference whatsoever, either on the spectrum analyser or the software. The only way you could get a difference (I/C cable only) is by moving the cable about during the test, but the differences were less than 0.5dBm.

I used to be on a Hifi forum, but I got bored with people who couldn't see past the price tag of their kit. Amazing what expectation bias does to someone's hearing.

The point stands though.

I don't think anyone can tell the difference between bog standard (thick) speaker cable and some Van den Hul thing costing £500. And even if they can (which I seriously doubt to the point of not believing them) then it is inconceivable that they would actually sound better.
Here is a review for a USB A-B cable for connecting a DAC to a CD transport (or any other HiFi digital component connection) from a well known supplier - I've omitted the name. Anyone who has been interested in HiFi for a while will probably know who it is (and may even own some of their bullsh*t products). This cable costs £100 for a 0.5m length.

• Pure silver signal conductors.
  • 6.1% silver-plated copper conductors.
  • 6.1% silver-plated drain and shield wire.
  • High-density polyethylene signal conductor dielectric.
  • All USB cable terminated with Type A at the computer end
  • Type Mini B connector (destination end)

****** have developed two cables, designed to improve the performance of devices linked to your computer like the Meridian Director, RAVE 1 USB amp and essentially any USB enabled DAC.

******'s USB cables take the performance of their original USB cables one step higher, by using pure silver conductors for the signal (the original cables featured silver-plated copper for the signal). In addition, the cables feature a crimped and soldered technique of attaching the custom-plugs to the cable
    - the only USB cable, to our knowledge, that employs such a robust type of connection.

Our listening tests have shown that the sound is sweeter and more natural with the silver USB cable in place, with better bass and a more open sound. It has to be the cable of choice if you are connecting your computer to any kind of DAC that features a USB input.
So just exactly how does a digital cable (one's and nought's) have any f*cking bearing on the audio output of a system?

No he didn’t.
A condition he insisted upon of taking up the challenge was that the challenger must be able to "demonstrate any psychic, supernatural or paranormal ability" in order to qualify.
That’s why no one took it up.
No, that was a different challenge. He also challenged someone after they wrote a review gushing with praise about these $7k speaker cables with a separate challenge to tell the difference between them and some Monster Cables.

I've tested some cables in the lab at work using high end signal generators and Spectrum analysers. I've also used real world music files and software (https://www.libinst.com/Audio DiffMaker.htm). The tests were set up so only the cables were changed (I/C's and speaker cables tested independently).

At audio frequencies (20hz to 20Khz and way beyond) there was absolutely no difference whatsoever, either on the spectrum analyser or the software. The only way you could get a difference (I/C cable only) is by moving the cable about during the test, but the differences were less than 0.5dBm.

I used to be on a Hifi forum, but I got bored with people who couldn't see past the price tag of their kit. Amazing what expectation bias does to someone's hearing.
Yes, I used to frequent hifi forums but debate would usually end up with me being banned after I'd lost it and called some old fools "deluded" or worse. Which of course they are.

Same with the tripe about "hi-res audio" etc. Absolutely astonishing when you think just how much money the likes of Sony is making selling "hi res" audio gear and convincing people that DSD or 24/192 is sonically superior to good old fashioned 16/44.1 red book CD. Which of course it is not. The "HD" recordings on HD Tracks and the like may indeed sound better (sometimes) but that is *entirely* down to the mix and has literally zero to do with the recording format.

When Sony/Philips invented the CD back in the early the late 70's/early 80's, and they called it "pure, perfect sound, forever", they were correct. No human can hear anything above 20KHz, and ditto no-one can detect distortion or noise at anything like CD levels, let alone much lower than that.

I'd strongly recommend any non-believers, have an open mind and watch this:

Last edited:
I've upgraded since I last posted on this thread..

Cyrus One amp

CXN V2 streamer

Monitor Audio Silver 50's

Chord Clearway cable

Soundstyle Z2 stands

Got a cheap CD player as I'm using it as a transport through the CXN DAC.

I've upgraded since I last posted on this thread..

Cyrus One amp

CXN V2 streamer

Monitor Audio Silver 50's

Chord Clearway cable

Soundstyle Z2 stands

Got a cheap CD player as I'm using it as a transport through the CXN DAC.
Love the Cyrus 1, absolute beast in a little grey shoebox. Don't think the Cd player matters as iirc until you start spending silly money they all used the same Philips transport anyway.

And you only get to drive exciting and dangerously fast cars when you're too old and far too sensible to enjoy them!

Oh yes, that too. Don’t get me started on old drivers. The number of accidents caused by old drivers is staggering (almost as many as very youngest drivers I think).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.