Var debate 2019/20

Yep!
Just emailed Duncan Castles at the Guardian as he seemed to be the only one to question the Premier Leagues adaption of the rules.

Why? Do you think my explanation is unflawed?
I e-mailed 3 journalists of national newspaperd
Yep!
Just emailed Duncan Castles at the Guardian as he seemed to be the only one to question the Premier Leagues adaption of the rules.

Why? Do you think my explanation is unflawed?
I emailed 3 journalists of national newspapers this morning. Castles has popped up since saying very, very similar to what I have been saying. It could just be a coincidence.

I think you and I are reaching the same conclusion but by a slightly different route using different words.

I just want to understand why the goal was ruled out after the unbridled joy of what I thought was the much deserved winner.

All good.
My last line to Castles was " a perfectly good goal chopped off by incompetence masquerading as excellence".

I don't normally get wound up about things like this, city have been awesome and I was really looking forward to the new season hoping that VAR if used correctly would be good for us, but the Rodri penalty, Bernie being scythed by Danny Rose and the disallowed goal has really got my dander up.

It doesn't help that nearly every part of the media is agreeing with the decisions when they are blatantly wrong.

Honestly since this is the law now and as long as they apply it the same way going forward for other teams, I'm more annoyed about the penalties we didn't get:

Hoddle spotted something I didn't(worrying) in that there were actually two fouls VAR could have seen when Rodri was brought down, look at Rose and Aguero:

Here's the foul just before the corner comes in on Laporte, Skipp grabbed his arm and a bit of the sleeve of his shirt... Does anyone know the rule if someone is fouled before the ball is played, is that still a penalty? I'm pretty sure it still is.

Last edited:
Honestly since this is the law now and as long as they apply it the same way going forward for other teams, I'm more annoyed about the penalties we didn't get:

Hoddle spotted something I didn't(worrying) in that there were actually two fouls VAR could have seen when Rodri was brought down, look at Rose and Aguero:

Here's the foul just before the corner comes in on Laporte, Skipp grabbed his arm and a bit of the sleeve of his shirt... Does anyone know the rule if someone is fouled before the ball is played, is that still a penalty? I'm pretty sure it still is.

Fuck me, never even noticed the pull on Aguero!
The only possible explanation for this now is that the VAR official was too busy having a pull on himself at the time...!

Last edited:
A brilliant way to protest would be for the players to agree that if they score they don’t celebrate, all walk over to the ref and just stand and stare at him, looking in disbelief for 60 seconds before then celebrating. We score so many goals it’d happen all the time and would be hilarious

A brilliant way to protest would be for the players to agree that if they score they don’t celebrate, all walk over to the ref and just stand and stare at him, looking in disbelief for 60 seconds before then celebrating. We score so many goals it’d happen all the time and would be hilarious

The crowd stays silent too until the opposition kick off, when we celebrate madly.

Yes. Do this. Players planned that celebration in front of the empty away end at Milwall (Huckerbee's goal i think) to object to City supporters being excluded, this would be a time to show their views again.

All player and crowd celebrations need to stop. To be honest I’ve already started, not celebrated the last six times the ball has hit the net properly. But if the players did the same, everyone in the league doing a Balotelli celebration and fans just standing there, it might start to get that message home.

VAR is going to make the game seem as passionless as possible.

I don’t think the pundits and journos have really picked up on this yet as they don’t have the passion for goals like real fans do, plus they get the replays in the studio or on their laptops so they know what’s going on - the real fans in the ground don’t.

There needs to be a lot of “FUCK VAR” chanting as well! Wolves were doing it the other night, Sheffield Weds have it a huge rendition at Chelsea last season. We need to get a movement going about it.

It’s already killed the passion of the celebration of the ball hitting the net, a few games in. Let’s get rid of it before it kills all the passion in the game!

Bayern fans had it right:
wgoldbo39yl21.png

I love the idea of the players just running to the ref and standing doing nothing but stare at him until he says “goal”.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.