Alternative to Sky?

Harrilew

Ok, have now ditched Sky but need an alternative. Happy to watch sport up the pub and we retain the Freeview on the old box but need the option to record. To keep the record function i needed to at least subscribe to the entertainment package and Jamie Carragher gave me the inspiration to bin all of it.

Amazon? Freeview recorder? Looking for a cheap (legal) deal - all help gratefully received. Cheers

external-hard-disk-500x500.jpg

Depends on how much you want to spend.

I've seen 500GB Freeview Recorders for £20 on Gumtree but they're only SD so no HD recordings. If you want a modern Freeview recorder with HD recordings, a big hard drive and Youview (a brilliant system that allows you to connect to iplayer, 4OD, ITV player etc by navigating to it via the guide rather than faffing around in the channels individual menus) it seems they're about £200 for a decent one.

I'm glad you made this post as I've not had a means of recording any TV for over 3 years since I quit SKY. I've just used catch-up services which have been good for most things. There's a few things missing though...

Which is why I've been a total cheapskate and bought a PlayTV Freeview recorder that connects to a PlayStation 3. I used to have one years ago and the speed of the menus was fast compared to most recorders of the day. Just nabbed one off CEX for £5.50 so worth a punt I thought.

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail...station3-playtv-tuner-pvr-w-installation-disc

A 500GB box you can get for about 170gbp but that will fill up pretty quick. The 1TB options are worth the extra cash imo. You could get 1TB's worth of space cheaper if you get something like this...

Then buy an external usb drive, you can get a 1TB for 40 quid. Here is a decent example of one below...

Be aware though if you want crystal quality you want something like a Humax. A refurbished one can be got for about 80 quid on amazon. You can ignore the refurbished bit almost, stuff like that always comes pretty much new...

That i a 500GB hdd though.

Ok, have now ditched Sky but need an alternative. Happy to watch sport up the pub and we retain the Freeview on the old box but need the option to record. To keep the record function i needed to at least subscribe to the entertainment package and Jamie Carragher gave me the inspiration to bin all of it.

Amazon? Freeview recorder? Looking for a cheap (legal) deal - all help gratefully received. Cheers

I picked up one of these for a friend ... wired it into the existing Sky sat dish and tuned it in ,,, no problem. Off eBay for £40.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Humax-Fo...229320&hash=item3b3771f07b:g:-UsAAOSwkXVdWDhE

If you had Sky Q you may need to change the LNB on the dish tho.

Brilliant - thanks all - much appreciated.

Thinking after sky not having a contract is something i would be happier with.

Like Talksport, BT and now Sky - its very cleansing!!!

Cheers all

Bought a Humax refurb Freesat box with 1yr guarantee and it lasted 13 months, but the Sky boxes are still going after 5 years. I've heard the Humax boxes can be hit and miss but they are good when they work.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.