Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

There is no chance of building a new railway line to cater for 25-26 home matches a year.

No need for a new rail line, just a station on the line passes very close to the stadium as it is.

At the moment those lines are only used for freight and moving empty passenger trains, but under the Northern Hub proposals some existing services would be diverted to Victoria rather than Piccadilly so there could be numerous passenger trains passing by the stadium each day in a few years time

The Etihad attracts just over 1 million vists per year based on around 25 home matches

An Arena with 20,000 seats will more than double that (assuming it can attract at least 50 days/nights of activity per year).

Plus there is all the commercial development planned for the area west of the stadium (e.g. technology companies in offices) That will also drive demand for better rail links, e.g. direct to the airport.

No need for a new rail line, just a station on the line passes very close to the stadium as it is.

At the moment those lines are only used for freight and moving empty passenger trains, but under the Northern Hub proposals some existing services would be diverted to Victoria rather than Piccadilly so there could be numerous passenger trains passing by the stadium each day in a few years time

The Etihad attracts just over 1 million vists per year based on around 25 home matches

An Arena with 20,000 seats will more than double that (assuming it can attract at least 50 days/nights of activity per year).

Plus there is all the commercial development planned for the area west of the stadium (e.g. technology companies in offices) That will also drive demand for better rail links, e.g. direct to the airport.
I looked up some costs for various options about how to improve transport around the stadium and they all come to around £50 to £100 million mark. Even building a railway station isn't cheap. The main aim, I feel, is to get fans away by not having to force them to travel through the city centre which is the bottleneck for trams, but the problem is that the distances are relatively small to justify large expenditure just for 20 or so games a season. Victoria & Piccadilly aren't that far away really, not more than twice the distance to where I normally park my car for free for games so upgraded walking routes would be good, although my favourite option would be a monorail linking Victoria to Piccadilly via the ground as it would serve as a bit of a tourist attraction and help sell whatever is built on the collar site. Could be driverless too.

Sa

Unfortunately this country is incapable and unwilling to provide public transport outside the London area. We are 30 years behind the rest of Europe.The London government is about to scrap HS2 and will downgrade proposals for HS3. It seems unlikely the authorities will do anything to address the chronic infrastructure problems in Greater Manchester and that includes the area around our stadium.

Outdoor stadiums are total tosh for gigs. The sound is appalling at outdoor gigs. I have no idea why people go to and enjoy festivals. It’s like putting a speaker out in the back yard while you’re in the bath and trying to listen to it.

Bobbins!

The acoustics in the MEN are shit n’all.

So we’re left with the Academy and Apollo in the whole city that has decent sound good enough to do decent bands of musicians justice.

Sorry mate. I just don’t agree. Going to outdoor festivals/concerts is great. The last time I went the cricket ground was actually to see Liam Gallagher - the sound was really good. I’ve seen a fe bands at the Etihad and the Men and I’ve never come out thinking the sound was shite.

And a lot of local workers are desperate for more work & living from hand to mouth on total shit wages, some likely to struggle like fuck thanks to Brexit, so another venue close to home will be a help.

Every event needs people to set it up.

Yep local workers desperate for work, but the Etihad s right near by. As a said a lot of the jobs taken up at the ground are by agency workers who are not from the area.

Yes some people might get jobs. But in terms of actually living there - I would not want two stadiums and all the traffic that comes with it.

I think that the vast majority of people who live on the housing estates near the ground wont see much benefit from it. Probably get pushed out if anything.

Some of the suggestions on here - a shopping centre and a hotel- do we really need them??? Loads of hotels and shops not even ten minutes away already

Rag FC. They have trams waiting to whisk the fans away. I have been there for non City matches (long story covered here before) As an example, Rags v Chelsea. leave at full time, tram back, not an efiin queue, the only queue was the amount of trams queuing to take you away from the shithole.
There is a holding point on the tramline near OT, no idea why same was never built when they extended past our ground, on a rag game day they simply stack trams at that holding point, on our games they can't

Sa

Unfortunately this country is incapable and unwilling to provide public transport outside the London area. We are 30 years behind the rest of Europe.The London government is about to scrap HS2 and will downgrade proposals for HS3. It seems unlikely the authorities will do anything to address the chronic infrastructure problems in Greater Manchester and that includes the area around our stadium.

The rest of Europe? I can name countries that have next to little public transport. Granted, it could be improved in Manchester.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.