What's the ceiling of this City team?

Depends on what sort of ceiling. In terms of points, there is always the chance to go undefeated all season but hard to better a record City already hold by any substantial margin so I would say no. Trophies, sure - there is the CL to consider still but continuing to maintain a hegemony & define an era in England remains.

For me, the ceiling I still see for the team is the actual play - even as superlative as it has been, I really believe (As Pep has commented on too) that there is at least a gear higher the team can play at & execute with more ruthless clinical effect. I feel that has been missing and I have to say that it's unclear whether Pep can get the team to that level at this point.

When he left Barcelona after 4 years, despite less trophies in that final season I thought there were moments in that season where they played better than at at any other time in Pep's 4 seasons. Of course, this sort of intensity that Guardiola demands cannot be maintained for too long and so far we have yet to see his teams surpass their goals in year 4 of projects. So, conventional wisdom would imply that fans might have to consider the prospect of a plateau. I think this is simply linked to the fatigue of maintaining a certain approach and a coach being unable to still get his players to react. I think Pep's motivation is there but will that of the player's always be there? We'll see

Depends on what sort of ceiling. In terms of points, there is always the chance to go undefeated all season but hard to better a record City already hold by any substantial margin so I would say no. Trophies, sure - there is the CL to consider still but continuing to maintain a hegemony & define an era in England remains.

For me, the ceiling I still see for the team is the actual play - even as superlative as it has been, I really believe (As Pep has commented on too) that there is at least a gear higher the team can play at & execute with more ruthless clinical effect. I feel that has been missing and I have to say that it's unclear whether Pep can get the team to that level at this point.

When he left Barcelona after 4 years, despite less trophies in that final season I thought there were moments in that season where they played better than at at any other time in Pep's 4 seasons. Of course, this sort of intensity that Guardiola demands cannot be maintained for too long and so far we have yet to see his teams surpass their goals in year 4 of projects. So, conventional wisdom would imply that fans might have to consider the prospect of a plateau. I think this is simply linked to the fatigue of maintaining a certain approach and a coach being unable to still get his players to react. I think Pep's motivation is there but will that of the player's always be there? We'll see
He must be tough to work for over a prolonged period. Always asking for more, always pushing. It's what makes him such an outstanding coach but you would need a great deal of inner strength, drive and ambition to cope with it season after season. We are fortunate that most in our squad seem to be of that character. I have no way of knowing other than perceptions round his personality but maybe he is too much for Leroy for example. I think we will plateau at this remarkable level, the only real improvement that is possible is we could convert more of our chances. Remember the home game against Chelsea last season. Imagine that level of finishing every week!

I think the ceiling has just been lowered if not caved in,we have had our brilliant 2 seasons and we won't be allowed any more at home or in the CL
No! Onwards and upwards, despite the wreckers.

I think it's highly exceptional to maintain a level that Pep demands for too long, you just rarely see it in sport whether it is complacency, injuries, boredom or whatever

On the flip side, Pep & City have been unfortunate in terms of injuries so staying relatively healthy for one season could produce a higher level than we've seen up until now. I've always said the biggest thing missing from this City side under Guardiola, for me, has been the play of the FBs in terms of stretching the field and creating more chances to break down defenses

Still can't see anything but a 3rd Premiership title in a row for City

CL + PL is the ceiling.

If Pep and the squad manage to win these 2 trophies during a season they'll be on par with Pep's FCB side in my opinion. And the exciting part is that they are capable of doing it this season !

We won't get much better.

it's fine margins costing us games at the minute. We'll have years where they are fixed, but they are so minor it's not really going to mean we've gone up a level further.

I think we'll win the CL in next 2 years, but it would be harsh to say we need to be a better team than last seasons one to do that.

I don't think we need to be a better team, either, but we do need to have a little more depth to cover for injury and the horrendous schedule that playing in four cups entails... I think it's purely a focus on team depth that will carry us through - it would be nice to have another new signing, but i think the team depth is there now.

i look at Bernardo and KDB and i see elements of Messi in both of them - and that's perhaps why Bernardo is instantly double manned every time he gets on the ball (triple manned v Spurs lol). Our overlapping style can cut that down and allow him to shine - so i think the way we play and the players we have kinda negate the 'need' for a Messi.

CL + PL is the ceiling.

If Pep and the squad manage to win these 2 trophies during a season they'll be on par with Pep's FCB side in my opinion. And the exciting part is that they are capable of doing it this season !

We were unlucky last season, we all know it. And the season before that (when Pep got sent off) but last season, going out at home v Spurs was harsh. It was a fantastic game of football, but to go out on a handball and with an offside was harsh.

Injuries and fatigue took their toll too.

We can all ask if we did go through to Ajax and the final, would we have been in a position to win the double. As bitter a pill as it was, maybe Spurs did us a favor.

i agree, i think we have the side this season to go all the way.

Last edited:

Let me hear you say "Yeah"!

No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no there's no limit!
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no there's no limit!

we create more than Pep's Barca team and play at more speed. Their titka-taka was perect, but very boring at times. We play more attractive football.

They were much better finishers though. From Messi, to Villa, to Ibrahimovic, Neymar, Suarez (not pep's time last two, I know, but still great team and cl winners)... they all missed much less chances than our strikers, including Aguero. Messi would score 100 in all competitions in this team. He doesn't miss that Gundogan shot vs Spurs and he could have loads of these with such dangerous width we have.

In last two seasons only Liverpool managed to match us in few games, any other we failed to win was only due to our bad finishing in games we battered opposition.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.