Var debate 2019/20

What happened to the grappling in the box clampdown that came in a few seasons ago? raz got booked in deans first game for it then it petered out,has that rule been dropped? convinient if it has,that prick saying rodders dived has set the bar,lets see what happens with other players then

You are very naive mark

Just have a difference of opinion Karen.

Already mentioned the negatives of VAR and have been more than balanced. For me it’s a case of really trying to make it work - however long it takes , rather than scraping it for the ‘old system’ where we have Refs and officials who make blind decisions.

Is it being suggested that a player should only be ruled offside if VAR shows him to be more than 20cm or 7.5 inches offside?

Imagine we’re playing united and they have a corner. The ball richochets about in the box before landing at the feet of Phil Jones, standing like a statue a couple of yards out. He turns it into the net, the Lino raises their flag, but VAR indicates that he was only 7 inches offside so the “goal” is awarded. Imagine our reaction.

I think there probably does need to be a tolerance in VAR offsides but no more than 4 or 5 cms. If we can’t live with that we should scrap VAR and leave it to the linos. After all this analysis has proved that for decades they’ve being getting dogs abuse over offside decisions when they might have been right all along!

But if we did scrap VAR would we be more accepting of decisions? Now that we know that the the officials are probably better than we’ve given them credit for, would we be more accepting of offside decisions if the cameras show the Lino was wrong by 4 or 5 inches ? Somehow I doubt it. For me the question really should be will VAR get significantly more decisions right than wrong? There needs to be a very clear advantage from using VAR otherwise its not worth the delays it causes. But if VAR is significantly better then human beings then we should just accept that it’s not going to be 100% accurate.
All well and good for offsides, personally I think they need to improve the technology as they go along, sure it's an improvement if they are getting more of them right but that doesn't mean we just accept that some calls will be wrong and leave it at that.

What is alarming is the clear and obvious pull backs/pull downs in the area that got ignored against City by Spurs. Accepting that is giving them license to decide tight games. You just know they will be on the first grab of a shirt or arm by a City player on a corner, just you wait.

Most saying VAR is fine, will have forgotten by then and claim "Well it was the right call, the replay shows he did pull him back, you can't do that... People are complaining about the right decisions again". 4 instances in one match.

Last edited:
It’s not true they are accountable to no one. The Premier League through its 20 clubs is who they are accountable to, because it they are seeing to be fucking up the product, putting the cash cow at risk, there’ll be intervention taking place with the Referees, no doubt about it.
I hope you are right. This situation where English officials have created their own absurd version of the mostly sensible IFAB rules on handball can't be sustainable. Swarbrick told a pack of lies this week which unravelled within 24 hours but has still not been challenged on it. Why should he not be required to release the tape of the conversations between Oliver and the VAR team to back up his false claims about what happened on Saturday? There is just no transparency is there? I have never believed as some do that the whole game is corrupt (though there have obviously been dishonest decisons involving certain individuals) but when the Head of VAR behaves like he has done this week then trust breaks down on the whole structure.

I hope you are right. This situation where English officials have created their own absurd version of the mostly sensible IFAB rules on handball can't be sustainable. Swarbrick told a pack of lies this week which unravelled within 24 hours but has still not been challenged on it. Why should he not be required to release the tape of the conversations between Oliver and the VAR team to back up his false claims about what happened on Saturday? There is just no transparency is there? I have never believed as some do that the whole game is corrupt (though there have obviously been dishonest decisons involving certain individuals) but when the Head of VAR behaves like he has done this week then trust breaks down on the whole structure.

I know where you’re coming from bud. My feeling is that if Pep/the club asked to obtain said recording, they would be handed over.

Just have a difference of opinion Karen.

Already mentioned the negatives of VAR and have been more than balanced. For me it’s a case of really trying to make it work - however long it takes , rather than scraping it for the ‘old system’ where we have Refs and officials who make blind decisions.
They clearly got it wrong in our games,the handball law makes zero sense to anyone,being told rodders dived so they didn't have to overule Oliver is no way to get fans on side,they don't have to scrap it but be open to adjusting it along the way and admitting if parts of it do not work in a live game,being told to stfu you just don't understand it,not you swarbrick,is out of order,he was a terible ref,he has the cheek to say we don't understand it!

I know where you’re coming from bud. My feeling is that if Pep/the club asked to obtain said recording, they would be handed over.
Absolutely not,if they gave it to one manager they would have to give it to everyone,they don't want us to hear it,their excuse for not letting us hear it is there is too much swearing,the players would soon learn to tone it down and accept when the ref indicated aVAR review and there is no point swearing at the ref

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.