Tenancy agreement advice

I have got softer over the years as in my early days of renting out property I was too far stretched and needed every penny when I was leveraged to fuck.

Some of the ones I have rented now I have great relationships with the tenants. A few are single dads who have split up with the ex and I have let them move in with no deposit when they have been on their arse and I have let them move in with nothing. Not put the rents up on a few for several years as it is much less hassle for someone to live in them for years and take good care of the place rather than have void periods and hassle from new tenants. It is really hard work though - I think the glory days of 1996 to 2010 are pretty much over and it is a tough gig now.

One of my tenants seems to pay me when he wants and it is never the correct amount but he is a hard core blue who goes home and away.
I have a similar issue with my mum's house which I look after for her while it's rented out. The tenant never pays on time and even when he does it's not the full amount. But he has 2 kids and his wife would murder him if she found out he wasn't paying on time, so we have an agreement that he pays it asap and doesn't hassle me with small stuff that he can do himself, so I don't kick up a fuss. If I had a mortgage to pay on it then that would prob be a different story, but you still have to take into consideration the tenants circumstances imo.

I don't have an answer to the original question but thought I'd join in with other discussions in this thread.

I've been renting for nearly 20 years and will rent my whole life. I like the flexibility of being able to move around. I'm in my 11th place. I've been in house shares, I've been a lodger, and rented with 3 different partners.
I've only experienced one nob head landlord and that was in Whalley Range and it was a really cheap place, so you get what you pay for.

Me and my partner have lived in this current place for 3 years next month and have never met the landlord. If something needs doing or reporting, we send him a text and he arranges for someone to come around asap. This is only the second time I've gone through an agency. They gave us the keys etc, hence why we've never met the landlord.

The thought of buying a house and being tied to the same spot for years isn't for me. And paying all that interest to a bank. I'd much rather pay someone for a service who's trying to run their own business, and knowing that if I have a bad turn in life, I've not got a mortgage to pay for.

I have no kids and will never have kids and I'll never get married either, so there's non of that nonsense there either of buying a house, potentially getting divorced and everything that follows on from that.

Edit: I didn't mention the buzz of looking for new places either, in new areas, the viewings, how you're going to set your new place up, what to do with the yard/garden etc and convincing the landlord/lady that you're the right person for their property.
I've never missed a days rent either or even been a day late.

Last edited:
I don't have an answer to the original question but thought I'd join in with other discussions in this thread.

I've been renting for nearly 20 years and will rent my whole life. I like the flexibility of being able to move around. I'm in my 11th place. I've been in house shares, I've been a lodger, and rented with 3 different partners.
I've only experienced one nob head landlord and that was in Whalley Range and it was a really cheap place, so you get what you pay for.

Me and my partner have lived in this current place for 3 years next month and have never met the landlord. If something needs doing or reporting, we send him a text and he arranges for someone to come around asap. This is only the second time I've gone through an agency. They gave us the keys etc, hence why we've never met the landlord.

The thought of buying a house and being tied to the same spot for years isn't for me. And paying all that interest to a bank. I'd much rather pay someone for a service who's trying to run their own business, and knowing that if I have a bad turn in life, I've not got a mortgage to pay for.

I have no kids and will never have kids and I'll never get married either, so there's non of that nonsense there either of buying a house, potentially getting divorced and everything that follows on from that.
I hope you have a great pension plan because trying to find rent when you are retired will be hell of a lot if money, whilst I appreciate your view on flexibility whilst you are young, long term find £600-£1k a month when you retire that’s a massive chunk of cash.

I have got softer over the years as in my early days of renting out property I was too far stretched and needed every penny when I was leveraged to fuck.

Some of the ones I have rented now I have great relationships with the tenants. A few are single dads who have split up with the ex and I have let them move in with no deposit when they have been on their arse and I have let them move in with nothing. Not put the rents up on a few for several years as it is much less hassle for someone to live in them for years and take good care of the place rather than have void periods and hassle from new tenants. It is really hard work though - I think the glory days of 1996 to 2010 are pretty much over and it is a tough gig now.

One of my tenants seems to pay me when he wants and it is never the correct amount but he is a hard core blue who goes home and away.

Sounds like a bit of a prick tbh.

I hope you have a great pension plan because trying to find rent when you are retired will be hell of a lot if money, whilst I appreciate your view on flexibility whilst you are young, long term find £600-£1k a month when you retire that’s a massive chunk of cash.

I'll have to deal with that problem when I enter retirement age in the next 20-30 years. I've always been 'live for the now and don't worry about the future'. Who knows what could happen between now and then.

If I'm in trouble when I'm old then I've only myself to blame and will deal with it accordingly. But I'm not gonna spend my life fretting about that time and putting plans in place for a time of life I'm not guaranteed to reach anyway.

Our managing agents - Barlow White in Monton, just did an inspection said we needed a carbon monoxide detector. Fair enough. But then they said they’d fit one for us for £50! The absolute twats. No thanks, i’ll buy one myself for £10.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.