Var debate 2019/20

If you're a shit driver but take the bus all the time, you'll get from A to B but still be a shit driver.

If you're a shit official but have VAR make all your big decisions for you, you'll still be a shit official.

Improve the official and you improve the standard of officiating. Instead of giving refs another layer of cotton wool.

we had no ref...i explained this to you...quite simple no?

i'm really not sure the aussie ref has any history with any other sport than football

ref performance is factor in crowd violence? give over man, i was as pissed off at the ending as anyone but if anyone became violent after the game it's on them

which VAR decisions do you in particular have an issue with (aside from the 2 this weekend)?

The Llorente handball goal and the Jesus goal at West Ham that was probably on side, mate. Contrast that Jesus goal with the Son goal at WHL. Maybe we’ve just been unlucky but what about a couple of years ago when the refs allowed a dozen leg breakers on our players without producing a red card (from Cardiff to Wigan).

I’ve taken overseas fans to games at the Etihad and they laugh at the standard of our refs. You are probably better mate.

The Llorente handball goal and the Jesus goal at West Ham that was probably on side, mate. Contrast that Jesus goal with the Son goal at WHL. Maybe we’ve just been unlucky but what about a couple of years ago when the refs allowed a dozen leg breakers on our players without producing a red card (from Cardiff to Wigan).

I’ve taken overseas fans to games at the Etihad and they laugh at the standard of our refs. You are probably better mate.
Llorente’s goal was a fair goal.

By the laws of the game, he didn’t gain possession or control of the ball and score nor did it hit his arm and go straight in.

It hit his arm then hit his hip and went in. That’s a fair goal.

the jesus and son ones come down to how VAR is used and from which TV frames are chosen. i disagree with the process but for the time it is what it is and using the process i cant argue with either decision.

llorente one, with the handball interpretation uefa were using last year this should have been handball i agree, not sure what went wrong with VAR not to see and penalise it.

i'm, of course, no where near the level of PL refs, they're all excellent refs. i've seen very few performances at the top level which i thought were genuinely poor, the only one that immediately springs to mind was stuart attwell v wolves in 11/12.

i'm never neutral watching city, but i try to look at the game and the refs performance objectively, i think the standard is pretty high. what's changing is the speed and complexity of the game, tendency of players to cheat with every breath and step, all of which isnt helped by the level of scrutiny every decisions is looked at by pundits and fans

the jesus and son ones come down to how VAR is used and from which TV frames are chosen. i disagree with the process but for the time it is what it is and using the process i cant argue with either decision.

llorente one, with the handball interpretation uefa were using last year this should have been handball i agree, not sure what went wrong with VAR not to see and penalise it.

i'm, of course, no where near the level of PL refs, they're all excellent refs. i've seen very few performances at the top level which i thought were genuinely poor, the only one that immediately springs to mind was stuart attwell v wolves in 11/12.

i'm never neutral watching city, but i try to look at the game and the refs performance objectively, i think the standard is pretty high. what's changing is the speed and complexity of the game, tendency of players to cheat with every breath and step, all of which isnt helped by the level of scrutiny every decisions is looked at by pundits and fans

Good post mate. That said, I think Martin Atkinson’s display in the Etihad Derby a couple of years ago was one of the worst I’ve seen in years. Before then, I rated him highly but his form has dipped since that day.

The Spurs game where Kane tried to break Sterling's leg and Dirty Alley went around stamping on everyone as usual, but in particular on KDB, was absolutely disgusting.

Llorente’s goal was a fair goal.

By the laws of the game, he didn’t gain possession or control of the ball and score nor did it hit his arm and go straight in.

It hit his arm then hit his hip and went in. That’s a fair goal.

Of course he gained possession of the ball. It was hitting his arm which took it onto his knee or wherever it come off.

The new rule was brought in to prevent situations like Llorente’s, or Aguero’s v Arsenal or Boly’s against us. All decisions where the ball has gone directly into the net or directly caused a goal.

The difference with Laporte’s is that Jesus still had a lot of work to do. If Laporte’s deflection would have rolled across the line for Jesus to tap into an empty net then I could understand the need to cancel it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.