League or Champions League?

Which would you rather win?

• Total voters
The league, always has been and always will be.

To win the Premier league we have to be extremely consistent in the toughest league in the world.

While you can just ride your luck and win the champions league or you can go out based on one handball, offside, incorrect ref decision, or a split second mistake. Di Matteo’s Chelsea we’re almost out and then they parked the bus to the final and won it. Last season Liverpool were almost out of the group stage when Alisson made a save to deny Napoli in the end of the game and they went through and won it in the most boring final Europe has seen in years.

Currently Liverpool and Tottenham are “the best and 2nd best teams in Europe” as the media like to call them and they haven’t won the league in DECADES. Not a few years but DECADES.

The Champions League is a knockout competition and don’t get me wrong it’s very entertaining but luck is required to win it. I want us to win it for the first time just to get the monkey off our backs then it’s the same to me.

That is do-able; you have a point. However, finishing with only 8 points in the group would mean you'd be highly unlikely to win the group. That then means a (on paper) tougher first knockout stage game. Which lengthens the odds of getting through without "winning" a game. Not impossible, though.

Jim that’s my point though, you can’t win the league by doing that, didn’t Liverpool lose all their group away games yet still won the Cl?
To me winning the league is harder, especially as to enter the CL you don’t even need to have won your own league!
Granted success in Europe would be nice, two big fingers upto UEFA, but I never thought we would win the league once so if we have a chance to win it I would prefer we do

I want to be the first English football team to win 4 league titles in a row.

I know we need to win a third in a row first, in fact, we just need to beat Bournemouth first, but that’s my long term big wish.

The Champions League can come after that. There’s no rush.

To win the league you have to score goals and win games.

You can enter the Champions League if you aren’t the champions of your domestic league, no matter how long ago that was n’all. And you can win the Champions League by drawing every game 0-0 from the group stages to the final and win the knock out games on penalties.

Let’s say the hypothetical group is:
City Dortmund Valencia Atalanta

1. Atalanta P6 W4 D2 L0 F8 A4 Pts14
2. City P6 W0 D6 L0 F0 A0 Pts6
3. Dortmund P6 W0 D4 L2 F4 A6 Pts4
4. Valencia P6 W0 D4 L2 F2 A6 Pts4

Ro16
City v Barça 0-0 + 0-0, City win on penalties

1/4 final
City v Chelsea 0-0 + 0-0, City win on penalties

1/2 final
City v Liverpool 0-0 + 0-0, City win on penalties

Final
City v Atalanta 0-0, City win on penalties.

That would probably see you relegated in a league season.

Plus in the league you play every team home and away. Whereas in the CL you only play a randomly selected 7 teams (6 if you play a final against a team from your group stage group) at most out of 32 that enter.

Winning the Champions League and saying you’re the best team in Europe is like winning the FA Cup on its own and saying you’re the best team in England and Wales.

Last edited by a moderator:
This time last year, I wanted the CL, but as the season drew on I didn't want to see all that effort go to waste. I'd happily take the same again this season, especially when I see how all the Scousers are still hurting even now. Is there any one City fan really upset at how our season turned out? Yes, it could have been even better, but you can't have everything. Although Pep might even prove me wrong on that one. Here's hoping!

I've seen us win the Prem x 4. I've seen us win everything domestically. I'd love to see us win the Champions League more than anything in a one off season.

However, we've won 2 leagues consecutively. If we win it this year we join a small group of clubs to do three in a row. No one has ever done 4 in a row. That would be something really special.

So, for balance, I'll settle for nothing less than a Champions League/Premier League double this season. If we don't get that I'll expect Pep and co to be sacked. The bald fraud.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.