Running thread

To get rid of visceral fat you’re better off doing sprints rather than jogging distances.

Sprinting is hard work! So start off with 10 second sprints at a time, build up to 15, then 20. If you can ever make it to sprinting 30 seconds at a time fair fuck’s to you.

I have no idea if your fitness levels but for a novice I’d start out like this...

Do them in sets over a series of weeks, three times a week:

Week 1 - 10 second sprints x 5, with 1 minute rest
Week 2 - 10 second sprints x 5, with 30 seconds rest
Week 3 - 10 second sprints x 10, 30s rest

Weeks 4-6 repeat Weeks 1-3 with 15 second sprints

Weeks 7-9 repeat with 20 second sprints

Sprint training is seven times more effective at burning visceral fat than aerobic training.

Great advice there mate, i've recently joined a run club which does a lot of sprint sessions - it is benefiting my long distance times aswell.

I have been steadily increasing distance in preparation for a half marathon, and have managed to get up to 10k, with the aim of increasing 1km every week. I have only been able to do 2 runs a week, 5k and then a longer distance at the weekend. I would like to be able to run more, lets say 4-5k every Tuesday and Thursday, with a longer run at the weekend, but have been struggling with recovery in between runs. My Achilles have been painful, and possibly suffering from tendonitis, which makes it impossible to stay consistent with a training plan.

Has anyone else suffered from this and have any advice for recovery and prevention in the future? I have been advised to do eccentric heel drops twice a day, which should cause microtrauma which in turn increases collagen deposition to aid repair.

Is it worth my while to get my running gait checked, can a change in trainers make a difference?
Yes and yes.

To get rid of visceral fat you’re better off doing sprints rather than jogging distances.

Sprinting is hard work! So start off with 10 second sprints at a time, build up to 15, then 20. If you can ever make it to sprinting 30 seconds at a time fair fuck’s to you.

I have no idea if your fitness levels but for a novice I’d start out like this...

Do them in sets over a series of weeks, three times a week:

Week 1 - 10 second sprints x 5, with 1 minute rest
Week 2 - 10 second sprints x 5, with 30 seconds rest
Week 3 - 10 second sprints x 10, 30s rest

Weeks 4-6 repeat Weeks 1-3 with 15 second sprints

Weeks 7-9 repeat with 20 second sprints

Sprint training is seven times more effective at burning visceral fat than aerobic training.
Any evidence to support this mate? Thanks.

Just done my second Parkrun this year and aiming to do try and break 20 minutes. Bit hot out there today, in Bournemouth area, but came in at 21:30. Bit of a way to go but more importantly the weight is dropping and although focusing a bit on gym work and swimming once a bit more weight is lost will fully focus on the running.

I've ran 235 days in a row and still got a beer belly.

Don't take this the wrong way but if you actually, really have ran 235 days in a row then it's little surprise.

You need rest days.

Without them, you're probably running at about 50-60% and your body isn't able to get into a fat burning zone.

Also, you can't out run a bad diet, so you may have to look in that direction rather than just the exercise.

keep it up!

Don't take this the wrong way but if you actually, really have ran 235 days in a row then it's little surprise.

You need rest days.

Without them, you're probably running at about 50-60% and your body isn't able to get into a fat burning zone.

Also, you can't out run a bad diet, so you may have to look in that direction rather than just the exercise.

keep it up!

absolutely. It’s the bad diet that’s doing it. I don’t think I’ve ever drank as much and ate as much in one year than before - I do a big run and it’s followed by a massive sesh!

But I’m enjoying it, not fussed about losing weight - yearly challenge and I’m on course.

PM me if you want my Strava and I can bore you with my daily runs.

Just done my second Parkrun this year and aiming to do try and break 20 minutes. Bit hot out there today, in Bournemouth area, but came in at 21:30. Bit of a way to go but more importantly the weight is dropping and although focusing a bit on gym work and swimming once a bit more weight is lost will fully focus on the running.

Strong runner - 21:30 is a cracking time.

My best ever is 23:50

Strong runner - 21:30 is a cracking time.

My best ever is 23:50

Cheers. It helps having a slight frame. Managed to drop to 12st7 from 13st2 and I can feel that has had made a difference.

Times are all relative though. The lad I was with came in 18:18 and was half way through his tea and bacon butty when I finished

Last edited:
There’s a new sports science place opened here and I got a chance to be timed doing a 20 yard sprint on turf.

I played cornerback in American football at a decent level and was a sprinter as a kid so it got me pretty excited.

These days i’m 41, 15 stone and was wearing trousers when I did it.

I clocked 2.07 seconds, which is faster than 99% of the nfl players could manage in their prime :-)

Makes me wonder if I dropped my weight again if i could make Ireland’s Olympic team at 41 lol.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.