Victorian engineering in North West England

diamond geezer

I'm planning to take my family on a vacation to Manchester. Apart from football I'm interested in Victorian engineering and the industrial revolution; this includes steam engines, canals/locks, metallurgy (such as metal furnaces and the Bessemer process). For example, I'm sure I'd enjoy visiting the Trencherfield Mill in Wigan to see the giant flywheel. Please give a foreigner some advice on where to go.

X2 on MOSI. Excellent morning or afternoon out.

My favourite Victorian building is however in London. St Pancras station. In a world where we tear this stuff down its been tastefully and sympathetically restored. Beautiful.

Have a look at Martin Zero on Youtube who has a delightful way of exploring our heritage. He might give you a few ideas.

Standedge Tunnel at Marsden it is a canal tunnel that you can go through. It connected Manchester to Yorkshire. There is a small visitor centre. Have a look on line for times about the trips.

Styal mill near the airport is a good example of a Victorian mill.

National Coal Mining museum might be a bit far away - near Wakefield- but you can go down the mine and see how mining was done at different times in history.

Marple aquaduct and locks though like most feats of engineering they are actually georgian not victorian

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.