Shaun Wright-Phillips retires from football

HelloCity

The man was our only hope and glimmer of light at one time.

I remember being devastated when he left originally as it seemed only dark days were ahead of us. When he re-signed it was more exciting than the Robinho signing in a lot of ways.

His first match back away at Sunderland when he got two goals was absolutely brilliant and then there was his long ranger against Utd in the first Etihad derby before that as well.

21-C165-F1-D594-4-A34-8-C9-B-0-D9-CF9759-E13.jpg

Last edited:
My brother ( a rag in the finance world) got me and my son a corporate at Maine Road some 20 years ago when they were a novelty. We were in the dining room and a few of the fringe players came round to the tables. This tiny kid in a suit four sizes too big came to ours and I asked his name , 'Shaun Wright Philips' said he , all shy and embarrssed. 'Good luck son', said I, thinking the obvious.
Humble pie on the menu.
Just shows

I think he is one of a number of former players who would have excelled even more under Pep - I reckon Pep would have loved him...hard working, technically very good and something that Pep always talked about; good in small spaces and one on one situations. (Berkovic and Benrarbia would have been others)

I think SWP would have been on another level under Pep....but he carried us at one point in his career and was a plyer who would always get the crowd off their seats.....he scored some absolutely amazing goals as well

SWP knew he wanted out but he signed a new contract so that the club got the maximum fee possible for him. The 20 odd million cash we got from Chelsea (paid in full immediately) kept the club afloat after the disastrous Keegan years.

He is a genuine club legend.

there were a number of reports that he was in tears on leaving and didnt want to go but knew it was best for the club

I think he is one of a number of former players who would have excelled even more under Pep - I reckon Pep would have loved him...hard working, technically very good and something that Pep always talked about; good in small spaces and one on one situations. (Berkovic and Benrarbia would have been others)

I think SWP would have been on another level under Pep....but he carried us at one point in his career and was a plyer who would always get the crowd off their seats.....he scored some absolutely amazing goals as well
He was wasted sadly with us due to his teammates standard & although Chelsea came to the rescue they never made use of his abilities.

Thanks for the memories SWP.

Ps can you come back & be a ballboy again please? ;)

He was wasted sadly with us due to his teammates standard & although Chelsea came to the rescue they never made use of his abilities.

Thanks for the memories SWP.

Ps can you come back & be a ballboy again please? ;)

I dont know about wasted with us but he certainly went to a better/higher level moving to chelski at that point so there is no one would could hold that against him

I remember him at burnley in a cup tie think it was his debut? i thought he was the mascot when the teams came out!! Quality player for us in the dark days

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.