Shaun Wright-Phillips retires from football

I dont know about wasted with us but he certainly went to a better/higher level moving to chelski at that point so there is no one would could hold that against him
I'm certainly not holding it against him, if that was what came across in my post it's wrong, I just feel a club with a better attacking style would have served him better.

I think he is one of a number of former players who would have excelled even more under Pep - I reckon Pep would have loved him...hard working, technically very good and something that Pep always talked about; good in small spaces and one on one situations. (Berkovic and Benrarbia would have been others)

I think SWP would have been on another level under Pep....but he carried us at one point in his career and was a plyer who would always get the crowd off their seats.....he scored some absolutely amazing goals as well
I agree and by contrast Mourinho did practically nothing to develop SWP as a player at Chelsea, he preferred to make use solely of the hard working aspect of SWP's play rather than his technical ability.

Good luck to Shaun in whatever he chooses to do in the future.

I remember a mid season friendly at Altrincham in the mud. The friendly was arranged to get the goat match fit after an injury.
SWP was one of a few youths coming through.
The big alty defenders tried everything to stop this little kid. He was like rubber and just bounced off them and came away with the ball.
He basically ripped them apart. Scored and set the goat up.
I knew then he would go far. Even though his kit always seemed to big for him.
I’m sure his son was or still is on city’s books

SWP knew he wanted out but he signed a new contract so that the club got the maximum fee possible for him. The 20 odd million cash we got from Chelsea (paid in full immediately) kept the club afloat after the disastrous Keegan years.

He is a genuine club legend.
He didn't want out though. We desperately needed the money & he was sacrificed to keep the club afloat. I know John Wardle did a lot for us but he was a shit chairman it has to be said. And the less said about that lying tosser CEO Mackintosh the better.

SWP would have fitted this Pep team like a glove. Absolute star on the pitch and a gent off it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.