VAR impact and consequence log - game 27

Yeah, we aren’t so far apart really. When VAR was mooted, I was of the view that reviews should take place on appeal and that appeals should be limited to, say, two per match. I think that’s similar to cricket. It rankles that every goal is subjected to forensic examination even when nobody (apparently) appealed against it.

Arsene Wenger suggested this about 15 years ago, he was right then and hes right now

So basically it just depends who they want to benefit & ultimately win the match ?
Well, it’s about making sure all of our officials understand that the attacker must gain control of the ball after it hitting his arm. The video ref yesterday interpreted it incorrectly. I reckon he thought Laporte created a goal scoring opportunity with his arm and he must have thought that meant hand ball. But in not gaining control of the ball, he was wrong.

I’ve read, re-read, and read again, the laws today and I change my stance.

The goal should have stood because the law states that [if a player]:
  • gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then:
    • scores in the opponents’ goal
    • creates a goal-scoring opportunity
Laporte didn’t gain control of the ball after it accidentally hit his arm and then create a goal-scoring opportunity. The ball accidentally hit Laporte’s arm, there’s no doubt about that, it definitely his his arm, but he did not gain control of it and create a goal-scoring opportunity. It hit his arm and it went straight to Jesus.

That is not hand ball even by these new laws.

- 2 points

He gained possession of the ball for the team which is why the law is differentiating between control/possession . IF the ball had hit the defender and they ran up the other end and scored then it would have been disallowed .

It's one of the better laws . It's not a sporting way to score and even at a very young age we are taught that it isn't right even when it's accidental . It's not a subjective rule that can be interpreted a thousand different ways unlike offside .

IF it goes in our favour in a cup final will you be disputing the ruling or rejoicing that the ball hitting the hand means you can't score ?

updated for todays game, VAR had no impact on the result, penalty claim for foul on Merlin the only real contentious issue I remember (personally thought the handball shout was never a penalty in a million years, but can't find a decent replay to have another look)

updated for todays game, VAR had no impact on the result, penalty claim for foul on Merlin the only real contentious issue I remember (personally thought the handball shout was never a penalty in a million years, but can't find a decent replay to have another look)
No impact on result but another potential goal struck off. Goal difference is still crucial

Whilst we are all pissed off this morning at another VAR decision, or 2..., we do need to accept that everyone is learning at the moment.

We were told that referees will still be the men to make the subjective decisions and VAR will only step in when absolutely necessary. Everyone was happy with the limited usage of VAR as it allows the game to flow as much as possible.

Pretty much all the decisions that VAR has overturned have been the definitive ones ie offside and handball. It hasn’t yet got involved in the subjective decisions as to what a foul is.

It’ll go one of two ways now in my opinion. Following from the Rodri obvious penalty, VAR will either continue to ignore all subjective decisions if the referee says he has seen it, or VAR will use this as the green light to get much more involved in decisions leading to more penalties being given (probably against us in the next game for a slight push when defending a corner)

They should not be beta-testing the fuckin' scheme. it should be trialled in the background for a season to see what happens and what 'issues' arise from its application and when it is 'clear and obvious' the system is of merchantable quality it can then be wheeled out. IFAB have added a raft of new laws, the refs haven't collectively understood them, the application of VAR is making the stuff up as it goes along, and the paying public are left in the dark as to what is going on. Compare that to the verbals whenever a cricket decision is referred. Football is the only sport I can think of where the governance is just wretched.

He gained possession of the ball for the team which is why the law is differentiating between control/possession . IF the ball had hit the defender and they ran up the other end and scored then it would have been disallowed .

It's one of the better laws . It's not a sporting way to score and even at a very young age we are taught that it isn't right even when it's accidental . It's not a subjective rule that can be interpreted a thousand different ways unlike offside .

IF it goes in our favour in a cup final will you be disputing the ruling or rejoicing that the ball hitting the hand means you can't score ?
Are you for real. The common sense version of this law would be entirely acceptable but the micro managed absurd application we witnessed against Spuds is
at best contrived or more likely corrupt.

Can anyone tell me why we are applying the way VAR is used differently to every other league? The club and the media have access to the people that can answer that question so why are we not being told. Looking at the pens yesterday, ours was a stonewall but wasn’t given, Kane’s I am still not sure about although if that was at Klanfield we all know the outcome and the one that was given against Burnley wasn’t and not only should it have been reversed but the Wolves player should have been carded for rolling around as if shot by a sniper. He now has carte blanche to do it again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.