Var debate 2019/20

‘Or creates a goal scoring opportunity’
Like ‘clear and obvious’ these terms can mean anything that they want.
One man’s interpretation of these will be different from another’s.
Basically allows them to make any decision they see fit.
Any ideas of consistency and accountability can be swiftly dispensed with.

No, this isn't correct. Look at how the law is framed.

0de70e2389e9a123b12f78db0fb2f4ba.jpg

Creating a goal-scoring opportunity must follow gaining possession or control of the ball after it touched a player's arm. Laporte didn't gain control or possession of the ball, so the creation of the goal-scoring opportunity could not have been a consequence of something that did not happen. The goal should have stood.

Creating a goal-scoring opportunity must follow gaining possession or control of the ball after it touched a player's arm. Laporte didn't gain control or possession of the ball, so the creation of the goal-scoring opportunity could not have been a consequence of something that did not happen. The goal should have stood.
That's the only explanation that makes sense, if you take the law as it is written.

The trouble is the refs/PL continue to interpret the laws as they like and then tell everyone who thinks they made a mistake: "don't blame us blame the law".

Same inference when you state:

To which I replied:

“Yes as much as the Jesus offside and ball hitting Laporte’s hand can also be argued as being ‘proven correct’.”

So you can keep going on about me lying but it’s your reading and cognition skills that are lacking. My point being that proponents of VAR such as PGMOL can argue that they got all four decisions (both offsides, handball and penalty retake) right. Not sure how you found that difficult to follow.
Being a proponent (nice choice of word) of VAR surely even you understand a decision which can’t be “proven incorrect” is actually correct in the eyes of VAR’s clear and obvious strategy.

And you have the cheek to call out my reading and cognition skills.

And yet they admit the speed of the camera and the doubt about when the ball leaves the players foot lends itself to them not getting it correct,more of a guess but they have to justify var somehow
All they’ve “admitted” is using a camera which broadcasts at 50fps which we all knew and discussed at length (with many saying it was 25fps because Andy Gray said it). Unless you can quote something I’ve missed where they say “admit the speed of the camera and the doubt about when the ball leaves the players foot lends itself to them not getting it correct,”

It’s given us one and taken one away when many would have been less confused if the two had been the other way around based on the naked eye and replays prior to the lines being drawn on.

I think we were all hoping for something different but the way Riley has ‘chose’ to implement it means in effect things have got worse. By chose, I mean the way he has obviously been told to implement it by those clubs, one in particular, who didn’t want it. They still benefit from dubious pens as it is unlikely they’ll be overturned. Whilst we still don’t get clear cut ones, and again they’re unlikely to be overturned with the ref being more protected because we’re all slagging off VAR!

A perfect system if you did have an agenda and needed ‘a more competitive league’ Mr Scudamore. Nameless, invisible people making decisions when they feel like interfering. I wonder who could have dreamt that up Mr Gill.

We probably need to score 2 goals a game now because it looks like we’ll suffer at least 1 huge injustice each match. It’s bit us once and will again.

but that doesn't explain anything, other than that ref on the field is bad, or bent,
it's still bullshit.
Exactly. Which is why VAR should be in place to correct those decisions. They’ve implemented it entirely wrong and completely differently to the countries in Europe that are now in their third year of using it.

Exactly. Which is why VAR should be in place to correct those decisions. They’ve implemented it entirely wrong and completely differently to the countries in Europe that are now in their third year of using it.

Because Riley believed we would have a "better" system. He really is a grade A twat and shouldn't be in charge of anything.

Being a proponent (nice choice of word) of VAR surely even you understand a decision which can’t be “proven incorrect” is actually correct in the eyes of VAR’s clear and obvious strategy.

And you have the cheek to call out my reading and cognition skills.
I’m not a proponent of the current implementation of VAR at all. It’s not fit for purpose in its current guise for us or any other team.

Offside and encroachment don’t fall into the remit of the “clear and obvious” criteria.

All they’ve “admitted” is using a camera which broadcasts at 50fps which we all knew and discussed at length (with many saying it was 25fps because Andy Gray said it). Unless you can quote something I’ve missed where they say “admit the speed of the camera and the doubt about when the ball leaves the players foot lends itself to them not getting it correct,”

It’s given us one and taken one away when many would have been less confused if the two had been the other way around based on the naked eye and replays prior to the lines being drawn on.
It was in the mail a few days ago,they know the speed is not good enough and they can't be sure when the ball leaves the foot

We probably need to score 2 goals a game now because it looks like we’ll suffer at least 1 huge injustice each match. It’s bit us once and will again.
Yep but then we'll have the same opposing fans and negative City fans, who think our team is not allowed an off day. That leads to a tight game every now and then. They'll say "Well it was City's fault, should have been 3-0 up at the end of the day. Sure it was the wrong decision but they only have themselves to blame for that mattering"

In a tight game, these calls often decide a result. Just because we're good, it doesn't mean we're any less deserving of the right calls as those teams who have tight games every week.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.