Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

I thought Rogue One was brilliant. Actually managed to improve thr 1977 original. Solo had a messed up producing but was better than expected, the force awakens was pretty decent, copied the originals top much but set things up nicely only for rian johnson to have a massive turd on its potential with the last jedi. Honestly that script was worse than anything lucas had ever written

I think Rogue One is hands down better than all the franchise names except A New Hope. Maybe the first 1/3 of The Force Awakens is okay. Solo was okay too -- better than most of the franchise.

I've always thought Empire vastly overrated and cannot understand why most prefer it to the original. I'll take a few things from Return -- the forest chase, Leia in a bikini and "It's a trap!" plus a pretty evil emperor. The prequels have effectively nothing redeeming about them. I like Rey and Fin as characters and the tortured Darth Vader Light idea is interesting but the fucking pompsity of the language, the utterly inane planet killer, Luke the hero exiling himself or whatever . . . ugh.

Anyway the franchise should never be forgiven for Jar Jar Binks ever unless there is a 20 minute short made that covers his death.

A New Hope was great not just because we all like good v evil and lasers are cool, but because Luke and Han and many of the other characters spoke and acted like real, actual people, not like Charlton Heston as Moses or King Arthur.

I'd say Starship Troopers is better sci fi than all the Star Wars flicks save ANH and RO.

Last edited:
I'm expecting it to be pretty bad. I'll watch though, more out of a sense of obligation.

I agree with the consensus. For me Rogue One was excellent, the Force Awakens was good but the Last Jedi was the biggest load of shite I've ever seen.

I couldn't believe how bad that film was, it completely ruined my excitement for future stuff. I can't believe they've given Rian Johnson another trilogy.

Shouldn't the force awakens be renamed the mediclorians awakens.

I enjoyed Force Awakens, but I really didn't like Rogue One - there was no character in it that I liked - and it put me off going to see The Last Jedi. And then I saw the reviews of that and I've never bothered with it, but I guess I'll have to watch it for this last one to make sense?

I enjoyed Force Awakens, but I really didn't like Rogue One - there was no character in it that I liked - and it put me off going to see The Last Jedi. And then I saw the reviews of that and I've never bothered with it, but I guess I'll have to watch it for this last one to make sense?
Yep. Definitely.

To be fair, it was a critical and commercial success. 91% on Rotten Tomatoes, 8.1 average rating, it made more than £1bn at the box office. But it does a lot of reflective work on the franchise as a whole, and that's pissed off a few die hards with popular YouTube channels. Rian Johnson clearly sat there while writing the script and asked himself, "What has Star Wars become?" and "Is Star Wars' current form necessarily a good thing?" His approach was to take a serious look at what happened to the franchise in between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens and use The Last Jedi to analyse it - the extended universe lore, the fan theories, the misplaced iconography, all of it. That's why it pissed off the die hards: the film was about their behaviour as much as it was about the Skywalkers, Chewbacca, etc.

Personally, I thought the direction The Last Jedi took was exactly what the franchise needed. That's why The Last Jedi is my favourite of the whole lot, equal with The Empire Strikes Back. I enjoyed The Force Awakens a lot but The Last Jedi was always going to be a decisive fork in the road for the saga, and it needed an outsider coming in with fresh eyes to deconstruct it from within, all while holding up the weight and expectations of the institution it's become. That's a hell of an achievement on a storytelling level, and the fact that it's the most beautiful film of the entire franchise to set eyes on, it just gives it an extra nudge. It's not perfect (no Star Wars film is), but it was the Star Wars film we needed rather than we one we wanted. I'd set aside an evening before December and watch it in a double bill with The Force Awakens.

Couple of trailers are out there now. Might as well get this going.

Really looking forward to this now. The Last Jedi was terrific and arguably the best entry to the franchise for a dozen reasons. It actually made me a fan of the entire saga from A New Hope right through the present day, as imperfect as it's been along the way, when previously I'd been a fan but relatively cool on the whole thing. It made me want to do a whole podcast about the entire saga with some friends of mine.

This'll be the last film of its kind for quite a while, so let the theories and anticipation begin.

Please don’t post a link to that podcast on here.

Cheers.

Please don’t post a link to that podcast on here.

Cheers.
I really wasn't planning on it. We have a small following of about 50 people which is mainly just our families and friends, and that's how we want to keep it. We make the show for them and ourselves and nobody else. :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.