I'm not paranoid but, how smart are smartphones?

Used to get ads all the time for stuff that was only ever spoken about in conversation etc, I deleted the Facebook app and haven't had one since. If you want to use Facebook just use the website, works perfectly fine.

The Great Hack which has already been mentioned is pretty decent and gives you an understanding of what happened during those elections. When I was watching it though I couldn't help but think how stupid must you be to be reading through Facebook and see some Donald Trump advert or some fake story about Clinton and have that actually impact how you voted in the election. It honestly blows my mind.

Then again, having recently had a conversation with someone about the US it boggles the mind why anyone lives there full stop! but thats for another thread.

I’m getting adverts for PayPal and sky.

I’ve never used paypal(which is probably why they push it at me) and I think I say out loud at least 3 times a week how much I hate sky.

It’s the fuckin twilight zone man

The denial of linking Facebook Trump Clinton stuff is like saying you don't believe advertising works. Companies spend billions and they wouldn't if it didn't work.

People don't realise that if they 'like' something online, watch a YouTube video and then click a link to a certain article, then Cambridge Analytica or similar will have you as a valid target for a specific message.

Try it for a Laugh. Pick something obscure that you wouldn't normally read or watch and see what happens. Google for links, click them, watch YouTube and see what ads come your way. And then realise it's not funny.

Always thought 95% of this thread was proper tin foil hat stuff but yesterday my mate called round and gave mention of Green King IPA.....nothing was www searched and it was only a fleeting mention but a couple of hours later...Green King IPA popped up in the adverts on here.

I work with IT Security at a very know firm, and Yes your smartphone listens all the time, especially facebook( Try and uninstall the app and messenger and all of a sudden your phone will use 20% less energy. )

It Aint a problem it is listening as long as they only use it for commercials etc. But What if you watch TV and say argh, someday I’m gonna shoot some Rags!! And Then a psycho in your neighborhood gun down some Rags 4 month later?

You guessed it, they save their recordings, for How long? Only the companies know.
But the police can ask to see those recordings.
And you could end up a suspect.

Same goes for photos. All Metadata is saved, meaning if you extract the data is has longitude, Altitude, Country, time of day, aka the exact location you took the photo.
Goodbye private life:) So if you send your Bird a picture from the local pub, But you Aint really there.. Make sure she dosent know How to check for that :)

Another thing related to the people saying commercials suddenly shows up with something they have No interest in or ever talked about, searched for etc. Facebook monitors who you are with,often chats with, keywords you and they talk about.
So if you are with Chris on the Golf course. Facebook will first monitor who you are hanging out with, Ah it’s Chris. Lets check the chat between you and Chris for keywords.. Hmm hmm they keywords “fun” and “show you” appears in the chat..
Who said Fun and show you in the chat.. Oh Chris did... Hmm the program thinks and Then it looks at Chris profile for likes and interests and see that He likes golf.. It Then checks his photos and Via machine learning it can see that Chris has posted alot of Golf photos.
Remember about the meta data?
You’re right, Facebook checks Where the photos are taken and based on the above, What could be fun, What would you show someone if you were Chris etc, it now shows you ads from the local golfclub.
So if they dont get you by listening, you or your friend have already given them so much information it appears as if they do.

They also check your photos on your phone, Cause you’ve given them permission so you could post that funny picture on facebook remember?
Now they look at all your photos and can see that, aaaww you have a photo with a coffee taken in London( Meta data remember) Checks location.. Oh this person is actually in London right now.. Well Hello Starbucks commercial. Same goes for photos you have downloaded or screenshots.. They probably won’t have Meta data, But facebook can still scan it and find out What it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always thought 95% of this thread was proper tin foil hat stuff but yesterday my mate called round and gave mention of Green King IPA.....nothing was www searched and it was only a fleeting mention but a couple of hours later...Green King IPA popped up in the adverts on here.
So it's BM that is evil?

No wonder Ric can afford 4 weeks on the Med.

The denial of linking Facebook Trump Clinton stuff is like saying you don't believe advertising works. Companies spend billions and they wouldn't if it didn't work.

People don't realise that if they 'like' something online, watch a YouTube video and then click a link to a certain article, then Cambridge Analytica or similar will have you as a valid target for a specific message.

Try it for a Laugh. Pick something obscure that you wouldn't normally read or watch and see what happens. Google for links, click them, watch YouTube and see what ads come your way. And then realise it's not funny.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.