Spurs thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that Arsenal built a new stadium and subsequently regressed doesn’t mean that Spurs will do the same. You need to look at the finer details. For starters, it might just be that Arsenal’s relative decline starting just as they moved to their new stadium was entirely coincidental. Because by then, Wenger was no longer ahead of the curve, as he had been, and in fact became something of an out of touch (albeit football romantic) dinosaur by the end; Abramovich happened; then ADUG; the George Graham stalwarts in defence had all grown old and retired; and the key players who won them that rash of trophies in the late 90’s / early 00’s - Vieira, Bergkamp, Henry and Pires - all left and were never adequately replaced.

But even if we are to say that their stadium build was largely responsible, there are key differences.

When Arsenal began construction, their revenue was £135m. Spurs’ revenue last season, before the new stadium bounce, will have been three times that amount.

Arsenal also took on significant debt for a large property development programme which failed to realise anything like the hoped for profit because of the property crash and credit crunch from 2008. Furthermore, their credit was secured at pre crash interest rates. Spurs’ credit is secured at historically low rates. Arsenal did restructure their debt with a bond offering but still at higher rates than Spurs will have to pay.

Lastly, the vision behind and the versatility of the new Spurs stadium means that it will be a greatly superior income generator than even the Emirates - especially in terms of attracting non football events.

But all of the above, while relevant to your post, isn’t really relevant to the particular issue that was being discussed. No one was claiming that Spurs will now enter a golden era as a consequence of the new stadium. There is no telling whether trophies will be forthcoming or whether we even go the other way and fall out of the CL places. The point about increased revenues was simply to say that Spurs will henceforward be able to further close the wage gap with their competitors.
A lot of sense in that especially the bit highlighted

I thought there were unlucky with the penalty appeals; both should have been given, I think.

But regardless of that bad luck (or karma some might say), Spurs really do look bad. We should have put 6 or 7 past them, and they didn't really do enough to warrant a result (lots of meaningless postiton).

As for Kane, I think he's been summed up by others already - doesn't even look like he could lace Samaras' boots. I really don't get the hype around him (or maybe I do - he's English). Always thought they looked better last year when he was injured and Son as up-front. Selfish player, too - I get the impression he puts personal glory ahead of the team's, but maybe that's unfair (just came across that way in the World Cup).

Indeed, City will mostly only face the problem from second choice players and the occasional first choice player who is determined to sign for either Real Madrid or Barcelona. But it will nevertheless impact on City’s finances, like everyone else’s (especially given the value of City’s second choice players) - either in the form of players leaving on a free or ever increasing wage offers to dissuade them from doing so. It will all be complicated further by opposite situations like Gareth Bale’s at Real Madrid - a player on huge wages who is no longer wanted but who no one else can afford to pay.

Spurs’ wages for their top players aren’t so very far behind their competitors now. And their bonus scheme is more generous than most. Once the new stadium revenues start to kick in, I would expect the gap to close even further. Especially now that the club has been able to restructure the majority of the stadium debt on favourable terms. As to trophies, the past does not equal the future. What matters is whether players believe that they can win trophies at Spurs in the future. If they don’t, then they’re not wanted at the club anyway!
You say "Given the value of City second choice players". Well I can tell you that Sane cost 37m, Jesus 27m, Danilo 26m, Zinchenko 2m, our second choice players are not as expensive as you and the media make out.

You say "Given the value of City second choice players". Well I can tell you that Sane cost 37m, Jesus 27m, Danilo 26m, Zinchenko 2m, our second choice players are not as expensive as you and the media make out.

I didn’t say anything about what you bought your players for. I was referring to what they are valued at now.

Hypothetically, if City were to lose Sane for nothing, in today’s market that could equate to £70m down the drain?......£100m?......more?

I didn’t say anything about what you bought your players for. I was referring to what they are valued at now.

Hypothetically, if City were to lose Sane for nothing, in today’s market that could equate to £70m down the drain?......£100m?......more?
You're definitely not an accountant are you.

I can't see it happening at City, but who knows. Do you think this is the way Ericksson is going at yours, I forget what his contract situation is.

I can't see it happening at City, but who knows. Do you think this is the way Ericksson is going at yours, I forget what his contract situation is.

Seems now that Eriksen will either leave in this or the next window if Real Madrid make a worthwhile offer (which will still be far below his value were he on a long contract) or he will leave for free next summer.

You're definitely not an accountant are you.

Thankfully, no!

That’s not to say that I don’t know how accounting of player values works. It’s just that I’d really rather not get into a dry conversation about amortisation and I’m fairly sure that not many others do either!

Forget all of the accounting blather for a moment - the fact remains that, even if a £100m player is actually valued at zero in the accounts, no club wants to lose him for nothing. You will agree with that, I hope?

Reactions: cjn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.