Bolton (sold to Football Ventures)

From last 16 in the UEFA Cup 11 years ago, to this...

From last 16 in the UEFA Cup 11 years ago, to this...

2-2 with Bayern Munich in the Allianz Arena, and knocking out Athletico Madrid (which included Aguero). They could have gone have one further, but Megson played a weakened team for the 2nd leg against Sporting Lisbon in order to focus on the weekend.

2-2 with Bayern Munich in the Allianz Arena, and knocking out Athletico Madrid (which included Aguero). They could have gone have one further, but Megson played a weakened team for the 2nd leg against Sporting Lisbon in order to focus on the weekend.
Knew it everything is always a gingers fault ;)

It's such a different world to what it used to be. People are no longer insular and focused on their parish pump. It's quite common to see kids walking about in Barcelona shirts, and t'other day I even saw one in a Germany shirt. Back in t'day that would have been unthinkable!

OTOH if flipping Burnley can run a PL team with reasonable success it does beg the question why Bolton and similar towns can't, and my conclusion is that it's down to management, or lack of it. Chances are a lot of Burnley fans are closet Rags/Dippers and would walk away if Burnley were back in a lower division - nevertheless, they do show what potentially small clubs can do. Bournemouth are another example. 10,000 crowd - massive! - but these days, with money from TV etc. they can be viable. If you don't have berks and asset-strippers in charge.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say both clubs will be safe..

I remember watching the Athletico game and being jealous of their (Bolton's) success in Europe. How times have changed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.