Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

I enjoyed Force Awakens, but I really didn't like Rogue One - there was no character in it that I liked - and it put me off going to see The Last Jedi. And then I saw the reviews of that and I've never bothered with it, but I guess I'll have to watch it for this last one to make sense?

I think that's why I liked Rogue One so much -- it was more a study of what you give up -- in your future, and within yourself -- to be a part of a revolution that brings about positive change. It's a pretty difficult and conflicted existence, full of sacrifice of self, with "heroism" only being something that will be accorded to you after you're dead, with precious few moments to be personally happy. Effectively every character in the story is knee-deep in the muck. We only know about the eventual successful outcome of their self-sacrifice because we know the back story.

I think that's why I liked Rogue One so much -- it was more a study of what you give up -- in your future, and within yourself -- to be a part of a revolution that brings about positive change. It's a pretty difficult and conflicted existence, full of sacrifice of self, with "heroism" only being something that will be accorded to you after you're dead, with precious few moments to be personally happy. Effectively every character in the story is knee-deep in the muck. We only know about the eventual successful outcome of their self-sacrifice because we know the back story.

You over thought it too much. It was a 2 hour setup to the new CGI bit of Vader that someone had done.

What are you being a dickhead for?
come-over-to-the-dark-emperor-palpatine-meme.png

Rogue One was the best Star Wars film imo. I don't think camp humour belongs in a film with such stakes. You can have humour certainly, i mean the droid in Rogue One was funny af. There needs to be a certain tone though. The "droid rights" stuff was a weak attempt mixing humour with social politics as an example in tlj. I like gritty films with Rogue One giving me my grit fix. You get the right amount of character development and arcs. There is urgent and immediate threat throughout the film with Vader being shown as the super powerful unstoppable entity who rightly scares the shit out of everyone who is not him. I won't lie i was giddy as a pig in shit when he appeared at the end and fucked them all up.

I was very impressed with the end, if Jyn Urso kissed Cassian it would have shit on so much it aimed to achieve. It felt like a real universe, i felt like there were big fuck off battles happening all over the galaxy, it felt more real than any other film. I was sick of pristine palaces, i wanted people crawling in mud towards certain death.

I got to like TLJ the more I watched it. Yes, it is not 100% perfect but no Star Wars film is. I think some may have a greater appreciation of TLJ following the release of xi. After all, TLJ was, essentially, part 2 of a 3-part serial.

The concern I have with the Rise of Skywalker is that because it is the end of the saga, and we appeared far away from the end, based on the conclusion of TLJ, it may fall into the same trap as Revenge of the Sith by trying to tie-up too many loose ends.

My guess is that the film will contain a reveal along the lines of Palpatine being the creator of the Skywalker family.

Those who mock The Phantom Menace, I ask you to name a better kids, sci-fi film about a trade dispute?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.