******Cricket Thread******

Status
Not open for further replies.
the majority of them aren't good enough to do that, as Roy is proving, the new ball with this calibre of bowling attack when you're first at the crease is a minefield, you just have to find a way to survive then you can score. The benefit for the middle order is if they get in they have their eye in by the time the 2nd new ball comes around, unfortunately they keep playing wafty shots apart from Stokes on Sunday and getting themselves out.

yes your right about self control and being good enough in the first place ?? but the new modern day bowlers are so much better at what they do plus add the duke ball and its a different game to what we call test cricket, just staying in and blocking or leaving is a minefield, batting for a hour and getting a couple of runs and then getting out does not help both your confidence in your technique or your team

you might as well play some shots and score a quick 20 or 30 and maybe get some luck and go on to 50 or 100 ?? it changes the game in a instant and from 70/4 it could be 170/4 and back in the game, i feel test cricket is changing because of ODI cricket with the bowlers and not just the big hitters, and they are learning better lines and length because of the rules with wide's and no balls and discipline, and add the needing to have a little bit of magic with a knuckle ball or out of the back of the hand and slower balls

look we will never really know why test cricket is the game everybody talks about what changes are needed, but maybe the truth is just leave it alone and let the game develop into the entertainment we seen on sunday and how can you not love watch something like that over slow runs scoring boring test

but if you think about it you could score quick runs and not just do or die stuff at the end, am not saying from ball one but control with intent ?? it can change a game in 5 to 10 overs and having a score on the board would also change the game and the mindset of the other team

just hanging around for 3 or 4 hours and defend and leave as gone from the game, the style of cricket by the batsman needs to change because the bowlers are getting better and better in bowling the right lines and length and add swing or bounce then just staying in like you say is impossible in england, you have to go early and hard at the ball in england and take the swing out of the game and if you don't its coming and got your name on the ball

the duke ball is like a ticking time bomb with the right bowlers in england and the aussies are just as good as our best bowlers, but they have this extra bounce in their style and just bowl just back of a length and its a nightmare to bat against if you are just defending and looking to stay in, stokes can play that way at any stage of a innings and KP was the same just like botham when they have to go just let them smash it

yes it comes off about 2 out of 10 or maybe a little more, but its the mind set of the fielding captain and bowling team that it gets in there head that it could be today they score big runs so bowl to defend and keep the score down and not at the wickets
The other big change in recent years has been the way pitches in England have changed because they’re so much drier, a consequence of the quest for quick drying outfields.

The other big change in recent years has been the way pitches in England have changed because they’re so much drier, a consequence of the quest for quick drying outfields.

yes the test pitches have being more bowler friendly in the last 3 or 4 years but the biggest thing is the duke ball and swing it provides in england, its nothing to do with the pitches just that type of ball and the bowlers hands and the shine, pitch movement is only when you hit the seams bang on, but the bowlers many find it to hard to bowl it straight up and go for swing from with the shine

but batters are not learning better movement and getting forward enough and not using there feet because of ODI cricket when they just swing from the hips, but ODI cricket makes better bowlers and there technique with slower bowls and knuckle balls and bouncers with the faster bowlers, even spinners are now coming back into ODI and 20/20 cricket, test cricket spinners are a must for all sorts of reason even over rates ??

test cricket needs a revamp ?? the game is finding hard to keep the fans happy for 5 days and needs to bring people back and entertaining the fans, now if batters are moaning about finding it hard to score runs and stay in for 4 or 5 hours because bowlers taking loads of wickets in a day because of the pitches or ball then they will just have to eat humble pie, many things can change like 4 day tests matches with a maximum 90 overs for each innings and have a result and no draws, even have a super over if the scores are tied

many things can work for test cricket that would not really hurt the old fashion game and bring it into the modern game, but if you could have the sort of cricket we had in the last test then bring it on

Jimmy Anderson bowled 20 overs for Lancashire 2nd's today. It's a 4 day friendly arranged for Anderson to prove his fitness.

2nd game back, after the Leicestershire 2nd's friendly last week.

Nailed on for the 4th test barring a reaction to the injury, but 20 overs on a hot day is a great workout.

Mate, just enjoy the moment for at least a few hours. You said something similar just after we won the World Cup!

This all day.

I'm on holiday with my 2 youngest lads...my eldest was messaging away during, and even more so after the game.
It is a struggle to let It sink in.....and the reason is, it's literally beyond all reason and logic what happened.....

And that's why we love sport.....9 times out of 10, there is a reasonable assumption of an outcome....Palace beating the Rags for example ((haha).

But, every now and then, something that is quite unexplainable and outrageous happens....
Sunderland v Leeds 1973 springs to mind for me....

Bowled out for 67...
But then 238 / 4 in 2nd innings....to be then 286/9.... and we've lost the ashes....

The lads and I got back to the room when we needed 60ish to win....every time I shouted 4 or 6.... they'd leg it over to the ipad.....
And when Stokes went 4 (century up), 6, 6 at the start of th pe over, they were glued.

My lad back home can't believe it, and he shouldn't, as I've explained to him, it's a 1 in a 1000 chance, it shouldn't ever happen....so fuckin well savour the fact it has, coz it was fuckin brilliant

Anderson bowled 29 overs in the Durham 2nd team inning's.

I imagine Lancashire 2nd's will declare some time tomorrow, so he can get more overs under his belt. (day 4 of 4 tomorrow)

Disappointing but better than it going on day 1 of the 4th test. The two teams are finely balanced (in terms of being as bad as each other) and England need everyone at full strength. Sad that he won't get chance to play one final time against the Aussies at OT, I'm sure he will be very frustrated.

Craig Overton?!

I haven’t seen him bowl recently but he didn’t seem like anything special when he made his debut a few years ago.

Calf injuries are not to fuck with, ask Kompany! He was never going to be truly fit for an Ashes game. Big winter ahead for England, New Zealand test starts 20th November, he could do with a long rest and holiday.

Woakes seems like he might be carrying an injury too. He had an horrendous test at Headingley so he might be replaced for OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.