United thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks.

I remember reading about it in one of @Gary James' books - Manchester: The City Years, I think it was - but couldn’t recall the time period.

He also wrote that while rags were happy to use the nickname themselves, they hated it if supporters of other clubs did so.

Not much has changed, really, has it?

In my youth many older City fans called United the rags or rubbing rags. Presumably because they were of that vintage and a rubbing rag was a dirty old cloth used to wipe up crap. The name rags became widely used among City fans of all ages only relatively recently when it (thankfully) replaced the 'M' word.

Thanks.

I remember reading about it in one of @Gary James' books - Manchester: The City Years, I think it was - but couldn’t recall the time period.

He also wrote that while rags were happy to use the nickname themselves, they hated it if supporters of other clubs did so.

Not much has changed, really, has it?
Utd fans did call Utd the Rags but I have no record that City ever bought them a kit. I've searched for evidence but nothing has ever appeared. City did donate money to Newton Heath at their bazaars in the early 20th Century (and City officials did as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.