Prem top 6 fight to stop new Champs League format....

14 extra games woul kill not just the domestic cups but the domestic league as well - unless they remove the restriction on squad size etc......but you would end up having two completely different teams!!! - most clubs just wouldnt be able to manage this financilly so what would the insentive for the likes of Norwich, Southampton etc to try and get top 6 etc
There is a case to be made that the teams in Europe should not play in the League Cup they are exempted partly at present perhaps they could be given an option think I know what the choice would be. Another possibility is reducing the PL to 18 teams very controversial but frees up four extra dates. Reducing the number of internationals would free up extra dates also but would once more meet resistance. The space could be created to play the extra fixtures but is their a real desire to adopt such a format ?One assumes the proposed expanded groups would replace last 16 and last 8 knock out phases which could diminish the excitement factor although after the drama at the Ethiad against the Dippers and the Spuds last two seasons I think we could do without.

Personally I would go with 6 groups of six teams with the winner of each group and the two best 2nd place sides progressing to QF's. Each team would play 8 games 4 home four away. Each side in the group would play each other once the remaining three games would be played against teams in other groups in some kind of seeded manner. I would also introduce some kind of a relegation system which would help keep to a minimum the number of dead rubber games during the group stage. The number of games could be expanded in this system easily by playing two extra games against other teams outside the group. In such a scenario City could in theory play 5 of the top teams in Europe in the group stages without actually being in the same group as them. This should ensure an exciting list of fixtures with only 2 extra dates on the calendar. You would then still get an exciting climax with the best 8 teams in Europe contesting the final stages in a traditional knock out format.

it can be a lifeline for smaller clubs to draw say city or liverpool at home in the league cup,were going to see a lot more Bury's and Boltons,its about time someone woke up at top level and realised

I agree with marco. Should this league happen. This could well see a lot more clubs like Bury and Bolton going bust. The clubs of the bottom 2 leagues hope and pray that when the Carabo cup comes round that they draw 1 of the top 6 clubs. This means that they can make a lot of money from a tie like this. Especially if they are drawn away, the money they make could well be more then what they make in 5/6 games at home.

Do I want this league know I do not.

I like the suggestion of reducing international games. Let's just scrap international football all together. I know there's a tradition there but is it really right to be so nationalistic any more???

This stuff about reducing the size of the Premier League to 18 clubs is a pipe dream. How is this ever going to be voted through as at least 12 of the clubs will see themselves at risk of relegation? Only the top six of last season plus possibly Leicester and Everton can see themselves as not at risk.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.