A Turning Point

That was THE moment imo! Not just beating them on the pitch, we had a manager who didn’t give a fuck about fergies reputation and infront of millions of people around the world put him in his place!
As someone else mentioned when Sheikh Mansour bought us was massive of course - not just in terms of finance but in having a long term vision of how the club was to be run. But even before that David Bernstein wasn’t a bad lad was he ? After years of instability he settled things down and made us an attractive investment. Bernstein’s role in our history seems to have been largely forgotten with what has happened since. But if you are looking for one particular iconic image then yes the picture of Mancini fucking Ferguson off would be up there - along with the knowing smile on his face during the 6-1.You have to remember Mancini had managed Inter and won 3 consecutive Serie A titles and was well used to big passionate rivalry in that league so he was never going to be intimidated by Ferguson. Whatever people think about Ferguson he wasn’t stupid and had a wealth of experience - I think the noisy neighbors comment was actually more of a back handed complement than some people realised - I think Ferguson knew the tide was turning at that point.

I've had utter knobheads to deal with in the workplace, & I learned several years ago to not allow one bad apple to spoil the barrel. A cliche, but very true.

Mancini's situation was utterly unique, & I doubt any other strong manager would have fared any different if faced with the circumstance. There was a total lack of support from the new management who were there to complete a specific task. Get Pep Guardiola. A weaker manager would have folded within months of the player power shown within our dressing room.

Nothing Mancini did could have stopped that plan. If you want to see the difference support can make, look at Pep v Yaya. Total support from the club, so there was only ever going to be one winner.

Conversely, look at the support Mancini got. Literally nothing after Soriano arrived, because to help Mancini build a dynasty, would have put 'Operation Pep' in severe doubt. Mancini's lack of support & subsequent sacking was collateral damage in our pursuit of the best living manager imo.

No one (including most City fans) ever thought we'd get Pep Guardiola. I still pinch myself fearing this is all a dream. However, I just wish it could have been done better, but 'Eeet's Futball si?
I agree with everything you say there mate - apart from the bit at the end about Pep - I was one of the few blues who was convinced that the moment we recruited Soriano and Beguristein Pep was a certainty to come eventually - I go to the match with my brother and son - was telling them for over 12 months that Pep would eventually come to City but they would have none of it. Don’t want to sound like a smart arse but I had a £50 bet with a rag I know that Utd would try and clone Ferguson by getting Moyes to follow him.

Rio-Ferdinand-Mario-Balot-007.jpg

This image should be as iconic as Sergio celebrating.

That showed them up for the poor losers they are. As did Ferdinand's, "congratulations to the other team" comment when he could not even say our name; the smacked arse.

Rio-Ferdinand-Mario-Balot-007.jpg

This image should be as iconic as Sergio celebrating.
It's like a movie poster for Deadpool - the other protagonists are all caught up in their own little world while our hero breaks the fourth wall with the throwaway aside, "Seriously, I have to work with these asshats!"

Reactions: mat
I agree with everything you say there mate - apart from the bit at the end about Pep - I was one of the few blues who was convinced that the moment we recruited Soriano and Beguristein Pep was a certainty to come eventually - I go to the match with my brother and son - was telling them for over 12 months that Pep would eventually come to City but they would have none of it. Don’t want to sound like a smart arse but I had a £50 bet with a rag I know that Utd would try and clone Ferguson by getting Moyes to follow him.
Soriano gave the game away during an interview in 2013. He was asked about the possibility of him, Txiki & Pep being reunited at City. He said, in football everything is possible.

When asked about Pep replacing Ferguson at ManUre, he further gave the game away by saying if Pep were to come to English football, he'd imagine it would only be to City.....

It was a tantalising interview, but I dared not dream we could get Guardiola, but loads of things were pointing to the possibility. Pep arriving here killed Bayern, shocked world football & forced ManUre to pursue Moureen in response.... That ended well didn't it? :-)

For me the turning point was the fa cup semi.
We were improving but when they needed to win they normally did it whoever they were playing.
To beat them at Wembley in such a big game said we had arrived, we were now going to take them on as equals and they didn't like it/couldn't understand it.
The 1-6 at the swamp next year confirmed it but Wembley started it.

Agree with this but specifically the 72nd minute of this game. What happened then? This was the moment that Scholes put 4 stud marks in Zabaletta’s leg and got sent off. For me this is the defining moment when I thought that we were better than them, we may lose the odd game but we’ve got nothing more to fear as they hadn’t feared us for many a year.
They were chasing our shadow in that game and have largely been in it for the 8 years since.

Trojan63.The moment I knew for sure was the moment that Pep said that he was not renewing his contract with Bayern Munchen. Just hope he can stay for another 4/5 seasons.

The turning point was losing to them in the FA cup at home, absolutely. They went 3-0 up, we were down to 10 men. They were absolutely fired up and desperate to make amends for the 6-1. Yet City outplayed them and almost progressed.

Rags went off the pitch as if they’d lost. They knew we were unstoppable from that day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.