State of Wembley Pitch 1970

No ticket. Slept (?) rough outside. Long story short...got a job clearing the pitch and shoveling snow off the steps outside. Got paid 7 quid and saw City win. Result.
You did not clear the steps that I used to get to the turnstiles, they were a covered in ice, I was sliding about all over the place.

Some of the other steps around the ground had been cleared to be fair.

Buying cheap trainers from Slade Lane does that.
Living in Levenshulme, I used to go to the Snooker Hall on Slade Lane occasionally (now an Asian supermarket). I believe Derek Jefferies used to be a regular in there, always had a crowd of kids following him. It was said that City used to give his wages to his Mum and she used to give him spending money out of it. I don't think responsibility and money went hand in hand with Derek.

My first Wembley visit as a 15 year old, I was expecting to be impressed with the "home of football" only to be confronted with a grubby, faded stadium and a ploughed field for a pitch. At least the result and the coach trip were good!
Yes and when you went to the Bogs you were ankle deep in piss.

Came over from Germany for the game by train. Was definitely a pudding of a pitch after horse of the year show. A disgrace. We still won though :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.