Are you glad we binned the Latin motto?

I can see it's not a popular view on here, but I much preferred the eagle/stars badge.

If we want to appeal to new young fans, and increase our appeal outside Manchester, then eagles & stars & latin mottos about going into battle, are exactly what we want.

And a boat & a flower/rose ... and the colours yellow & red... are exactly what you don't want.

I think the new badge was a step backwards, for where this club is now trying to reach/ position itself.

Arsenal have a cannon, Chelsea have an eagle, United have Satan ... and we have a flower & a boat trundling up the canal.

I think we're missing the point of what a badge is meant to be - exciting and "up for battle".

Chelsea have an heraldic lion.

The rags took their nickname from Salford Rugby League club (now Salford Red Devils) who were apparently given the moniker by a French journalist in 1934.
Matt Busby didn’t like their traditional nickname of The Heathens (from Newton Heath obvs.) which has suggestions of lacking morals/ principles and describes the club perfectly.
The Red Devil logo only went on their crest in 1970 and it also has a ‘boat trundling up the canal’

The red rose of Lancashire has a lot more to do with Manchester than a budgie and 3 stars

I can see it's not a popular view on here, but I much preferred the eagle/stars badge.

If we want to appeal to new young fans, and increase our appeal outside Manchester, then eagles & stars & latin mottos about going into battle, are exactly what we want.

And a boat & a flower/rose ... and the colours yellow & red... are exactly what you don't want.

I think the new badge was a step backwards, for where this club is now trying to reach/ position itself.

Arsenal have a cannon, Chelsea have an eagle, United have Satan ... and we have a flower & a boat trundling up the canal.

I think we're missing the point of what a badge is meant to be - exciting and "up for battle".

Most of the badge was awful and utterly meaningless to me.

The motto - drivvel, and didn't fit the 97-98 team who first wore it!
A huge eagle for no reason
And worst of all the 3 'continental' stars which made us look so stupid because they represented nothing when they should have been 10 titles each (still 24 short!).

Only good bit was bringing the 3 lines for the rivers back.

With the eidos sponsorship which i took as an acronym for eleven idiots dreaming of success coupled with the absolute shite performances it was a fitting era for typical city.

pick a fricking logo and go with it, ergo (latin) why did we need a change after this one?
main-qimg-654d8ff20b81219b4ced19589ac3f5e2
then this was good, but not impressed with any thing after.
images

Last edited:
I have a soft spot for the previous badge since it was the one in use when I started to follow the club, but the latin always seemed silly. In hindsight, the decorative stars are also quite tacky and the bird a bit dated for a badge designed in '97.

However, the worst part was the amount of people who would misquote it as Proelia or even Praelia, although it quite clearly says Proelio (compare the os to the a in Superbia), as it should.

Overall, binning it was the right move imo.

Glad we went back to a new version of the old badge. Got used to the badge overtime.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.