On This Day 1981 [29 Aug]

PinkFinal

WBA at home first game of 81/82

I remember it was a lovely day but not that late in August. We had a new kit and my absolute idol of that time Steve MacKenzie was making his debut for WBA shortly after leaving Maine Road ,which just felt weird.

Official site says it was our first game since the Cup Final but if I'm not mistaken I'm sure we played Liverpool in a rearranged league game week after the final replay in front of a tiny crowd at Anfield.

I remember this game for the wrong reasons. My dad should of been taking me but the fucker didn't turn up(he had got a job miles away away apparently- he was a taxi driver )so my mam dragged me to Asda kicking and screaming. I was 8 at the time and inconsolable. Turns out he got home about 2 minutes after we left for shopping. GUTTED! I remember being a little bastard all the the way around Asda, Oooh I was in one bad mood. Got home and listened to the 'ITS A GOAL! ' jingles on Picadilly radio.

I remember it was a lovely day but not that late in August. We had a new kit and my absolute idol of that time Steve MacKenzie was making his debut for WBA shortly after leaving Maine Road ,which just felt weird.

Official site says it was our first game since the Cup Final but if I'm not mistaken I'm sure we played Liverpool in a rearranged league game week after the final replay in front of a tiny crowd at Anfield.

We signed Trevor Francis a few days / week later

I was born on Saturday August 29th 1964 and these are the games that have since taken place on my birthday.

Strange, that I can vividly recall the two Oldham games, and the fact that our defeat at Derby was due to a controversial Free Kick. I can also remember missing Goater’s last minute equalizer at Notts County.

However, the most recent is a complete blur.

64-65 City 0 Northampton 2

70-71 Everton 0 City 1

72-73 Palace 1 City 0

73-74 Derby 1 City 0

78-79 City 2 Grimsby 0 (LC)

81-82 City 2 WBA 1

83-84 Cardiff 2 City 1

88-89 City 1 Oldham 4

92-93 City 3 Oldham 3

98-99 Notts County 1 City 1

07-08 Bristol City 1 City 2

10-11 Sunderland 1 City 0

15-16 City 2 Watford 0

The only thing I remember about this game is my naivety. I'd been to Wembley a few months before and turned up with my flag, expecting Maine Road to be full of flags and banners like Wembley was.

It wasn't.

I was born on Saturday August 29th 1964 and these are the games that have since taken place on my birthday.

64-65 City 0 Northampton 2
I recall that match.

Northampton Town made (one of?) the fastest rises from the Fourth Division of the Football League to the First Division. I think they took five years to make it. Within four years they were back to the Fourth!

Losing to Northampton pretty well put paid to City’s hopes of promotion.

Northampton Town, like Sheffield United back then, had a three sided stadium being played on a cricket ground. I wonder what the reaction to that happening now would be?

This was my first game as a season ticket holder. Sat in the junior blues section of the platt lane.

I recall that match.

Northampton Town made (one of?) the fastest rises from the Fourth Division of the Football League to the First Division. I think they took five years to make it. Within four years they were back to the Fourth!

Losing to Northampton pretty well put paid to City’s hopes of promotion.

Northampton Town, like Sheffield United back then, had a three sided stadium being played on a cricket ground. I wonder what the reaction to that happening now would be?
I was also at this game,it was only August bit early to talk about promotion.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.