Var debate 2019/20

The thing is its new and it was always going to adapt to criticism.

Our disallowed goal v spurs was strongly and publicly criticised, and rightly so, and as many predicted they'll have all since discussed it, and come to a consensus that that is not what VAR should be ruling out (it shouldn't be being used to rule out goals, unless they are obviously illegal).

Our Rodri penalty wasn't considered "clear and obvious" (very debatable in most opinions), but it was only one at the time, but this week has seen several more poor decisions, a couple of "should have been" penalties, also now being scrutinised publicly (the Tierney one is frankly ridiculous), so further discussion must surely be had that VAR has to be seen to be doing something to correct obviously wrong decisions, so it will adapt again.

Also the idiot doing the Villa game, who booked Grealish and disallowed the goal, should be put on re-training, as should the idiot in the VAR booth for not changing it or at least getting the referee to view it again, and correct his obvious error, its neither a foul or a dive, its a pass to a colleague, who subsequently scores a perfectly good goal (see "it shouldn't be being used to rule out goals, unless they are obviously illegal" above).

Its all fine and well saying it should be scrapped, but that isn't happening 4 games into the season, its here and its staying, so with more data available each week (ie wrong decisions), its surely better for better interpretations to be brought in than leave it as it is ?

We can micro analyse every decision we don't like, but its here and its staying, so lets get it working the best way possible for the good of everybody.

A good, constructive view. I was in favour of VAR. I don’t like what I’ve seen so far but we have to give it longer and hope the debate in the meantime improves things.

That said, I put the Newcastle and Jesus disparities down to inconsistent interpretation of a shit rule more than VAR. In a common sense world, both would have been goals, and the rule should be changed accordingly.

Regardless of what they do with it from this point the league has already been affected , we lost two points , Villa have lost a point and Palace gained two points to name just two fuck ups , so whatever the outcome at the end of the season it will not be a true reflection.

Spurs gained a point, and I can't remember if the decision affected the Wolves result.

It’s now deliberately ambiguous and there are precedents going both ways. So when something similar - in either direction - benefits liverpool in a tight match they can do what they want and point to the convenient reference point.

And this is why we don't hear an explanation from those officiating as to what they are looking for nor do we see anything the VAR-wallahs are looking at. The minute we hear and/or see what the stoppage is for the fucking game they are playing is up! We need a simple question posing to the VAR official that the crowd can hear - "Is there any reason I cannot award a goal?" And the video which the fans will be seeing will reveal all! And Jesus's goal stands, and the more than iffy offy for Raheem's goal couldn't be raised because the footage will show it is unclear whether he was offside, and surely we wouldn't be giving offside if it was 'thought' to be offside! PiGMOL have delivered themselves to the top edge of the Grand Canyon and they are about to jump in, no parachutes!

The current situation is farcical and I like millions of others am tearing my hair out over it. In their wisdom they've decided to use the system differently to every other league and competition in the world by introducing this subjectivity element to it. The question for the VAR in the PL is not "has the correct decision been made?" but rather something like "Could an extremely incompetent referee watching in real time have reasonably come to that decision." It defeats the whole object having VAR in the first place. Every other competition uses the pitchside monitor, I'm not even sure if they even have them in the PL. Apparently it's to avoid delays. In that case why bother with it at all? If ever there was justification for a delay then surely it's to ensure the correct decision is made. In its current guise the current system is utterly pointless and surely even the PL/PGMOL will realise this soon.

Last edited:
I've not seen all the camera angles for the Newcastle goal, but from what I have seen on MOTD, it was a deflection off a player's hand that went to Schar, who scored. From what I saw, the ball did not touch Schar's hand. It is a very similar situation to the Wolves and City disallowed goals, except the goal wasn't disallowed.
They got this decision right after two bad ones. It will be interesting to see if they’re prepared to admit that the Newcastle decision was correct and they got Laporte’s wrong

Samuel calling out VAR on Sunday Suppliment citeing our disallowed goal against Spuds and another handball incident at Newcastle.

With such a small pool of referees, they are probably all mates, and reluctant to criticise each other. Maybe a solution is to extend the pool of VARs, and make them anonymous, so that there can be no repercussions from overturning poor decisions. Or have a completely separate pool of VARs so that they don't even know each other on a professional level. Or even have a panel of two or three neutrals as VARs, with a referee in charge, but with objective input from ex-professionals or even knowledgeable fans.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.