Souness

Because in Souness's opinion he was a talented player with potential and he didn't think they sold him for what he thought he was worth - ergo something else amiss because 'it didn't make sense to him . He illustrated his argument by referencing Adebayor move from Arsenal when he was at the peak of his powers. Therefore i think it's a decent conclusion, it was a reasoned argument. might not be accurate but it was valid. Souness was released as a teenager from Tottenham and found himself at Boro, perhaps he's speaking from experience and it was the grounding that he needed to make himself a better player ?
Fair enough, I like souness and think he's pretty knowledgeable and well positioned to comment on most things compared to other pundits. However, I do think that there is an underlying racist undertone to the way black players are reported on in general. For example you don't often hear a white player called a donkey. Certain ways of describing players tends to be reserved for black players like Lukaku, mangala, heskey.

Bit weird how resentful he seems of certain young, black footballers. First Pogba, now this.

I think you might be being a bit harsh on Souness here as I generally find him quite scathing of most players (as and when he finds fault)?

I don't recall the Pogba quotes but I can't say that questioning his mentality (which is what he appears to be doing with Keane) is incorrect from what we have seen of his time at Old Trafford.

I don't know much about Keane but I thought him to be a relatively exciting prospect for Everton to pick him up for not a lot of money but I also queried why Juventus were letting him go.

Is that wrong?

Fair enough, I like souness and think he's pretty knowledgeable and well positioned to comment on most things compared to other pundits. However, I do think that there is an underlying racist undertone to the way black players are reported on in general. For example you don't often hear a white player called a donkey. Certain ways of describing players tends to be reserved for black players like Lukaku, mangala, heskey.
Disagree with you regarding the donkey slur, we've been calling white players donkey for the 50 years I've been going, far more than black players ....

His contract was running out. They needed the money. They might not have thought he was that good? How can you say it's a decent conclusion to draw when there are many possible reasons why they sold him?
Juve’s squad has become so bloated because of their transfer policy that they’ve been forced to sell players that they probably would’ve liked to have kept, such as Keane and Cancelo. They couldn’t find buyers for the likes of Mandzukic, Higuain and Dybala so had to recoup money and reduce the wage bill where they could. I think that, rather than a fictitious attitude problem, was the main reason Keane was allowed to leave.

I definitely fall into the category of calling players 'donkeys' , but it's more to do with their size , agility and swiftness of foot, than their colour. Lukaku, Mangala, Heskey are skillful players, they wouldn't be playing at the level they are if they were not, however they are big units and most times turn with the speed of an oil tanker. I would put Phil Jones, Maguire and Luke Shaw in the donkey pen as well ( not that i'm biased ) Harry Kane is also starting to grow big ears and like carrots

Got me thinking who i thought of as a 'donkey ' over the years . Most were defenders
Jim Holton, Ian Ure, Tony Adams, Keown, Cascarino, Gary Sprake , Corrigan( only the early years) Vinnie Jones? Loads more out there

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.