Was Alan Ball as bad as people remember?

Corrected for you.

I said the day he was appointed we'd go down (not sure Horton would have kept us up either), it was a bloody stupid appointment by Lee imho.

Horton easily would have. He had us playing some great football by the end with little support.

Imagine thinking offloading Paul Walsh was a smart move ffs.

Ohh it’s a Weasley...

Mind you in the 70s I had a hand painted lead figure of him about 3 inches tall - turned out to be life sized!

Hate to quote myself but being drunk and weary (RIP Phil) it was actually Francis Lee https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Francis-Lee-Manchester-City-Vintage-Keymen-Diecast-Football-Figure/123821703894 tho they did do a Bally, but not from his City days.

Although, as I was inspired I brought another Franny for old times sake, now to find a Colin Bell to match...

Horton easily would have. He had us playing some great football by the end with little support.

Imagine thinking offloading Paul Walsh was a smart move ffs.
I mostly agree, the football was good, but I'm not sure it was definite he would have kept us up, I'd have preferred to see us try under Horton than Ball though.

Franny Lee's first fuck up. Giving his mate a job.

"I've got a world Cup winners medal"

Decent player, shite gaffer.

Ball's ineptitude was summed up by the closing minutes of the the final match of the relegation season against Liverpool. It was 2-2 and City were going down as things stood. Ball was gesturing to take the football into the corners to waste time while Niall Quinn was frantically trying to urge the players forward.

Dark awful days. I remember when he was named as our new manager everyone was like, "Alan fucking Ball!!! Why???" Sadly we were all proved right. If this place would have been around then it would have gone into meltdown at his appointment.

I remember at one stage we rallied and it looked like we may survive. That's when we started singing the "Maybe, you're going to be the one that saves me, cos after all, you're my Alan Ball" song. It is strangely odd the players love it so much and sing it after each trophy now, obviously omitting the name.

Part of our dark history I'm kind of glad we went through, I just wish it hadn't lasted thirty five years!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.