Was Alan Ball as bad as people remember?

If it wasn't for Kinkladze we'd have been the fastest relegated team in Premier League history.

He replaced...
Paul Walsh with Gerry Creaney
Garry Flitcroft with Nigel Clough
Terry Phelan with Michael Frontzeck
and Tony Coton with Eike Immel

The basic problem was that Alan Ball was appointed two months too late (he got the job just a week before the season started if memory serves). The first ten games were effectively our pre-season, cos we had no manager for the actual pre-season. The blame for that lies squarely with the Chairman, who sacked Brian Horton with absolutely no fucking idea what he was going to do next. It was very convenient for f h lee that Ball took all the flak. He still is taking all the flak. If Ball had been the issue, things would have improved at least to a degree when he left. But we all know how well it went after his departure, don't we?

I never saw franny lee play for City and the rest of my family did, so I was the only one to not be blinded by lee the player. lee the chairman (such as he was) was in my opinion the single biggest blight on Manchester City in my lifetime, if not in the whole history of the club. Lower mid-table first division when he took over, third division when he left.

Remember going to Stoke away under Ball...his old club.
They hated him.
We hated him.!
Stoke (old ground) sang loudly "Fuck off Alan Ball""..around 3 sides of the ground.
City...by now..4nil down...away from home pissed up...set up our own chant
"Fuck off Alan Ball,says Fuck off Alan Ball!!"
The whole ground.. all 4 sides singing in unison..and it was loud...it was very loud.I'd never experienced that before...never seen it since .

That sums up ab.

Last edited:
The basic problem was that Alan Ball was appointed two months too late (he got the job just a week before the season started if memory serves). The first ten games were effectively our pre-season, cos we had no manager for the actual pre-season. The blame for that lies squarely with the Chairman, who sacked Brian Horton with absolutely no fucking idea what he was going to do next. It was very convenient for f h lee that Ball took all the flak. He still is taking all the flak. If Ball had been the issue, things would have improved at least to a degree when he left. But we all know how well it went after his departure, don't we?

I never saw franny lee play for City and the rest of my family did, so I was the only one to not be blinded by lee the player. lee the chairman (such as he was) was in my opinion the single biggest blight on Manchester City in my lifetime, if not in the whole history of the club. Lower mid-table first division when he took over, third division when he left.
Great Post.

Fucking dreadful, my highlight of him being with us came a few years later when I was playing Ladbrokes on-line poker & Ball was one of the 'Celebs' in the tournament.

I made it onto his table and for ten minutes before I knocked him out (headhunter) I gave him polite but constant grief. Think he was glad to lose.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.