Roughest / Most unwelcoming cities in the UK

Think a lot of this comes down to personal experiences. Never had any trouble in Glasgow, Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds or London. Sure if you want trouble you can find it, but if behave yourself you’re fine.
Nottingham on the other hand, funny breed that lot.
You're right, it is indeed about how you behave. I've stayed in most cities and many towns and villages whilst working away. Never attracted trouble. It's all about respecting the locals, blending in and having the craic. Been in some real shit hole sticky feet dominoes down types and been ok.

Ross Kemp did a programme about 15 years ago, '50 roughest pubs in the uk'. I've drank in quite a few he featured and had no problems in any of them, but some have been a bit League of Gentlemen "this is a locals pub for local people" like... Never had any problems in Nottingham either KC, but it does have some dodgy areas and rough n' ready boozers. I've had quite a few "so what brings you in here?" 'chat up' lines by some real rough looking hard staring curious cunts in the past. When they realise I'm working away putting new mobile telecoms rigs up it appeases most. I've even had a few pints bought. Then it's often been questions of where are you from, and City or United and it's been ok saying Manchester and blue. Had a few know nowt rags try it on when they realised I'm a blue but I haven't had problems with most of them either. When some have got a bit gobby and giddy I used to put them straight on a few things. One of my best put down lines is " listen pal, I've been to Old Trafford more times than you and I'm a City fan, now fuck off". This has had the saddo rags feeling more embarrassed when others have overheard to say something on the lines of "he's from Manchester and supporters the proper Manchester club, you're just a gloryhunter who doesn't go"... I've always enjoyed educating know nowt rags up and down blighty; )

Worst place I've been to was Strabane in Northern Ireland. I was told not to go in certain pubs by a friendly landlord in his safe haven and I took his advice. Not a place I want to go back to. Still rife with religious bigotry unfortunately and I don't do religion. Being English is enough reason to be hated, even nowadays. Sad really.

Last edited:
Not nearly as rough as Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Birmingham, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle or London. I wonder if people who post this shit have actually spent any time in these places or just watch list programs on channel 4.
I'm as entitled to an opinion as anyone.

Oh and yes I have spent time there - so thanks - I'd rather spend time in any of the other places listed than the shithole that is Hull

Oh and yes I have spent time there - so thanks - I'd rather spend time in any of the other places listed than the shithole that is Hull
At no point did I insinuate that you’re not entitled to an opinion. Just stated that it’s bollocks.

What areas in particular troubled you during your time in Hull?

It's a tad unfair to stigmatise Hull as a shithole, unless your judgement is of the City centre and rough estates of Hull. I don't know Hull well but like every City in the UK it has effluent and affluent suburbs. Hedon Anlaby and Hessle are decent suburbs (from memory) and far from being shitholes.

I lived in Nottingham a couple of times. Had last 2 years of school there and went back in my late twenties for a spell and lived in Radford, which is always cited as on eof the roughest parts of the City.
I found it all very civilised (although i did get robbed).
It was in the St Ann’s area, spent three days doing some engineering surveys around there and felt very unsafe.

Sheltered life mate?

I really liked Failsworth. I popped in to my then local for the first time and had regulars immediately asking amongst themselves who I was. I pretended not to hear because I can be quite shy around new people. Upon getting a second pint, one of the lads befriended me immediately and, when people realised I was new, then they were queuing up to be introduced to me. Do you think I ever got that in cold, unfriendly, indifferent London. I didn't. I really must get back there some time.

Whilst Scally Central Manchester was horrendous back in the late 90's (I had some real problems as a long haired student in baggy jeans), Failsworth was a good experience. I miss it.

You're right, it is indeed about how you behave. I've stayed in most cities and many towns and villages whilst working away. Never attracted trouble. It's all about respecting the locals, blending in and having the craic. Been in some real shit hole sticky feet dominoes down types and been ok.

Head in to some rough pub in an undesirable area of Liverpool and tell me a Manchester accent is going to get an easy ride? You wouldn't walk around the place in a City shirt either. You wouldn't.

All this "blending in" stuff... Come on! Whoever you are and whatever you believe, there's always going to someone who thinks you're a twat. I don't understand why people like Jeremy Corbyn yet all the smelly melons in Glastonbury were singing his name.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.