Was Alan Ball as bad as people remember?

I honestly believe that if Kendall had stayed, we could've won a league title in the next couple of seasons. The early 90's were the most open in my whole football supporting life. Liverpool's dominance was at an end, and United were yet to enter their period of dominance. Arsenal were probably the best team but there were opportunities for others. City and Palace came up in 1989 and 2 seasons later we finished 5th and Palace 3rd. Leeds came up in 1990 and 2 seasons later they won the league. Sheffield Wednesday came up in 1991 and finished 3rd that same season Leeds won the title. Norwich led the table with 7 games to go in 1993. While I think winning the league the season Kendall left in 1990-91 was out of the question due to Arsenal racking up an impressive points total, it was definitely doable in 1991-92. That season we finished 12 points behind champions Leeds with Reid as manager but it could've been a lot closer if not for an awful run of form in February and March which saw us drop 17 points out of a possible 24. Who knows how it would've panned out if Kendall was still our manager?
Rose tinted specs we never had a sniff of the title back then!

Paul Walsh was outstanding for us, quite incredible that Ball got rid of him.
Agreed.liked him at Luton liverpool and spurs. Couldn't believe it when we signed him..the speed on the turn the dribbling ability ..and the work rate of a Paul Dickov...and Ball got rid!!!

Your memory is bang on. 3rd game of the season, we were indeed awful, and Brown got sent off. I went on the train with 3 mates and we went on the piss in London later. We ended up missing the last train home and kipping on the tiles at Euston. The next morning when travelling home we ended up on a train full of London-based Stoke fans travelling up for their derby against Port Vale. One of them gave us a detailed run down as to why Ball was a shit manager, saying he put a load of their players on ridiculous contracts which almost bankrupted Stoke as a club!
That Michael Brown sending off...wasn't it his full debut at loftus rd that day? He had a reputation for being an aggressive tackler and was well known for it in the reserves. ..We had took thousands to qpr that day and we're loud and proud behind the away end standing terrace below and seating upstairs. ..think Brown got carried away with trying to make a good impression in front of such a huge away following...typical City in those days.

Going back to Ball.no one can deny he was one of the bestmidfirld players in the country whilst at Blackpool and Everton and moved for a british transfer record fee to Everton..this together with his MoTM perfornance in the World Cup final means Ball should be respected ..at the very least as a player despite a disaster of a managerial career.

I think the subsequent career of Hart shows the first statement to be rubbish.

Incorrect. It shattered his confidence and he's never been the same since being chucked around everywhere.

As with the others, you're refusing to criticise how awful Bravo was. Hart would've stopped more goals going in that season. Imagine if Mark Hughes had done the same thing...

He's the only city manager that when he was appointed I just knew it was the wrong decision. (Similar with McClaren with England.)

What made it worse was that he went back to Portsmouth in 97/98 when they were rock bottom in Jan or Feb I think it was. Then helping them to avoid relegation on the last day at our expense. One of my lasting memories of that day against Stoke was when the cameras went to the Portsmouth game and seeing Ball mobbed by their fans. Was sickening made a horrible even worse.

Thinking of those days makes me celebrate every win and make sure to never take it for granted.

Last edited:
Agreed.liked him at Luton liverpool and spurs. Couldn't believe it when we signed him..the speed on the turn the dribbling ability ..and the work rate of a Paul Dickov...and Ball got rid!!!
As much as I loathe Ball, Paul Walsh left because he asked for a transfer saying his legs had gone and the Premier League was too quick for him. Don’t know if ‘my legs have gone’ was code for ‘I fancy one more signing on fee and the missus wants to move down south’ though.

Signing Creaney, however illustrated how piss poor Ball was in the transfer market. For example, off the top of my head we probably could have had Kevin Phillips for considerably less outlay. Ball did seem keen on handing over City’s cash to teams on the south coast.

Why? Elaborate. Debate. Explain why.

*sits back and waits for silence*
Because you’re somehow attempting to equate Peps first season with the clusterfuck that was Alan Ball? Or at least given the subject matter that’s what I imagine you’re doing. That in itself deserves all the derision that comes your way.
Hart was long past his best as a traditional keeper, never mind one that would have to adapt to Peps game. Bravo, whilst struggling that first season is far from a clown. Only dickheads think that.
We finished trophyless but there was a clear plan, anybody with eyes could see it and only necessary tweaks were required. Our fullbacks at the time we’re never going to be capable of doing the work required so we’re rightly moved on.
Once he had the players needed to play the way he wanted we had it cracked and have gone from strength to strength.
Your post was nonsense- stick to talking about Wales and your bucket hat because that’s about your limit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.