Was Alan Ball as bad as people remember?

Didn't know that. Just seemed a strange move at the time when he ended up at Strasbourg and was replaced by the one-paced Holden.
I think Holden was a panic buy as we’d chased Arthur Numan all summer and he ended up at Ajax.

He should never have wasted £6 million or whatever it was on Blobby Fowlup.

It would have been much better used to acquire Daniel van Buyten and we would have had a decent amount left to further strengthen the squad.

Keegan was like a fucking magpie, grabbing the first shiny thing he saw.

DVB was a year later and had a couple of poor games before getting injured for the rest of the season. Some people only saw it at home v Utd and judge him from that. He was very expensive for the games he played.

He should never have wasted £6 million or whatever it was on Blobby Fowlup.

It would have been much better used to acquire Daniel van Buyten and we would have had a decent amount left to further strengthen the squad.

Keegan was like a fucking magpie, grabbing the first shiny thing he saw.

Agreed about Fowler (also Macken was a mistake) but Keegan was a man for his time. He made mistakes but also made some good signings too. Bringing in Pearce, Bernarbia & Berkovic was instrumental in getting us back in the PL and some of the football that season was brilliant to watch. I doubt that Big Joe would have got us straight back up. It's all a matter of opinions. As I said, Keegan ran out of ideas - which seemed to happen wherever he managed.

Looking at the rankings of managers in the last few pages of this thread, I find Billy McNeill criminally underrated. Took over after we went down in 1983. We'd lost Corrigan and Cross before the end of the previous season, then several players left in the close season. We were absolutely broke, and could easily have struggled in the second tier in the way we did after taking the drop in the 1990s. That we had one season where we finished one place outside the promotion zone, then got promoted, then stayed up in McNeill's three seasons in charge was an outstanding feat of management.

Yes, a lot of the football was poor and some players we bought were dreadful, but that was a function of the financial constraints he was operating under. Blues dislike the fact that he walked out on us to join Villa, but I don't blame anyone working for that abject, despicable and mendacious **** Swales for seeking a way out.

McNeill certainly isn't the best manager we've had (Pep is) but he belongs in the top ten.

Was it him or Frank Clarke who stopped the team coach on way back from Sheffield Utd game (suprise we got beat i think)loads of City fans were in it )Think it was him yeah must of been

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.