So if/when Mary D's closes

What other pubs are you judging it by? It's surprising as a Cheadle Hulme blue with several fantastic pubs in walking distance that Mary Ds gets a look in.

I’m only talking about pubs near the ground really mate. I grew up in the cross keys basically near mine and that pub is all about the people and the atmosphere.

Mary ds for me is a proper pub with a good atmosphere. Miles better then some of the protentious ones in town

I’m only talking about pubs near the ground really mate. I grew up in the cross keys basically near mine and that pub is all about the people and the atmosphere.

Mary ds for me is a proper pub with a good atmosphere. Miles better then some of the protentious ones in town
I’ll miss the place.

The River
The Kippax
Summerbees/Maine Road
Eastlands
The Manchester
The Bank of England
Seven Stars
The Mitchell Arms
that one that was called Champagne-something-or-other
The King’s Head
The Shamrock
and soon Mary Ds
...have all closed down near the Etihad SINCE WE MOVED THERE!

What the fuck is going on?!

We’re fucking crying out for more pubs around the Etihad yet they’re all closing.

We must have the lowest number of pubs near a football ground in the country. All that’s left are The Townley which is FAR too busy these days to even bother with within two hours of kick off, The Corner Shop, The Bradford, The Bridge and The Grove.

There are NO pubs between Town and the Etihad!

There are NO pubs in sight of the ground (once Mary Ds goes)!

That’s a fucking joke!

Even in Town, all the decent pubs are Rag pubs, are too small so are fucking packed or don’t show football anymore (like The Wheatsheaf, who stopped showing football and now don’t even let groups of lads in) so you can only catch the early game in some of the shitter places or can’t watch them as they aren’t shown.

And any pubs at the Northern Quarter/Piccadilly end of Town you have to leave too early otherwise you’re stuck in massive queues for the Met or have to walk it.

City Square is a huge no-no! I went the other week pre-game and it was quite frankly pathetic. Overexcitable presenters shouting and whooping down their microphones, with endless streams of kids being asked “what’s your name, how old are you, where are you from?”.. fuck me it was absolutely TERRIBLE!

Last edited by a moderator:
The River, The Kippax, Summerbees/Maine Road, Eastlands, The Manchester, The Bank of England, Seven Stars, The Mitchell Arms, that one that was called Champagne-something-or-other and soon Mary Ds have all closed down near the Etihad SINCE WE MOVED THERE!

What the fuck is going on?!

We’re fucking crying out for more pubs around the Etihad yet they’re all closing.

We must have the lowest number of pubs near a football ground in the country. All that’s left are The Townley which is FAR too busy these days to even bother with within two hours of kick off, The Corner Shop, The Bradford, The Bridge and The Grove.

There are NO pubs between Town and the Etihad... NONE!

There are NO pubs in sight of the ground (once Mary Ds goes)... NONE!

That’s a fucking joke!

Even in Town, all the decent pubs are Rag pubs or don’t show football anymore (like The Wheatsheaf, who stopped showing football and now don’t even let groups of lads in) so you can only catch the early game in some of the shitter places or can’t watch them. And any pubs at the Northern Quarter/Piccadilly end of Town you have to leave too early otherwise you’re stuck in massive queues for the Met or have to walk it.

All adding to the shitness of it all.

Firstly The Big Bradford, The Vic, The Crossroads, The Birch, Church, Britannia were all on their way out when they were given novelty city related names.

Secondly town is 10-15 mins walk away so it makes sense that any pub closure is not replaced,the police don't want thousands milling around when they can get them back to town, ashton, and dispersed everywhere else.

As great ancoats street and the surrounding back streets convert to bars and cafes closing the gap and with no real need bar a matchday for loads of pubs(unfortunate as that is) makes sence for the council, police and city for this to happen.

Firstly The Big Bradford, The Vic, The Crossroads, The Birch, Church, Britannia were all on their way out when they were given novelty city related names.

Secondly town is 10-15 mins walk away so it makes sense that any pub closure is not replaced,the police don't want thousands milling around when they can get them back to town, ashton, and dispersed everywhere else.

As great ancoats street and the surrounding back streets convert to bars and cafes closing the gap and with no real need bar a matchday for loads of pubs(unfortunate as that is) makes sence for the council, police and city for this to happen.
While Ancoats is growing, they’ve shut down the only decent pub in Ancoats (The Shamrock).

Football fan culture isn’t about sitting in a trendy bar or coffee house pre-game. And that’s not me not moving with the times, even 18-21 year olds like a decent pub.

Many fans want to get close to the ground at a good time in case anything happens to the Mets or the queues for them are too big, the traffic is bad for the bus or taxi, or it starts pissing down on the walk. Plus once you’re settled in a decent pub close to a football stadium you can watch the early kick-off and not have to miss the end of it because you’re a distance from the ground and have to head off in good time.

And post-game many fans would like to get to a pub close to the ground to miss all the queues for the Met, not get stuck in traffic in a bus or taxi, and avoid the walk if it’s pissing down... and then jump on the Met or a bus when it’s quieter after a few pints near the ground.

It’s a 25-30 minute walk once you actually get into Town too. I always think that walk time is underestimated by people. You could run to town in 10-15 minutes, but when you’re on the piss nobody is going to do that haha

While Ancoats is growing, they’ve shut down the only decent pub in Ancoats (The Shamrock).

Football fan culture isn’t about sitting in a trendy bar or coffee house pre-game. And that’s not me not moving with the times, even 18-21 year olds like a decent pub.

Many fans want to get close to the ground at a good time in case anything happens to the Mets or the queues for them are too big, the traffic is bad for the bus or taxi, or it starts pissing down on the walk. Plus once you’re settled in a decent pub close to a football stadium you can watch the early kick-off and not have to miss the end of it because you’re a distance from the ground and have to head off in good time.

And post-game many fans would like to get to a pub close to the ground to miss all the queues for the Met, not get stuck in traffic in a bus or taxi, and avoid the walk if it’s pissing down... and then jump on the Met or a bus when it’s quieter after a few pints near the ground.

It’s a 25-30 minute walk once you actually get into Town too. I always think that walk time is underestimated by people. You could run to town in 10-15 minutes, but when you’re on the piss nobody is going to do that haha

The shamrock is re-opening as a holt's house.

The crown & kettle, castle, gullies, city, fringe(was the bear), all still normal pubs and were there long before the thomas street bars came about and are 15 mins walk

And I never said I wanted pubs to close, but that it is inevitable if any shut they won't re-open as it suits the police and council.

Mary D's is a shit hole and alway has been even before city moved, it was a lovely place when it was Bradford labour club and I spent many a time as a young child in it, but once the beamish bar opened it slowly went down hill.

I would love for a few pubs and bars to be built along the canal or on the side of the ground so fans can drink near by before and after, but that obviously isn't what the authorities want.

Great posts. The decline of the pub scene around the ground is grim for real people like us. But the new wave of flag wavers we've now got flooding in to our ground couldn't give a shit! They are shop goers and City square lovers. The clubs hierarchy must love these boozers closing because(in their eyes) it'll push them pub goers to the ground earlier,thus spending money at City. I used to love going to the Mitchum before and after match and see a load of the old lads,but them days have gone. I drive with my daughter these days, straight in and straight out, because I can't stand all that City square bollocks!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.