#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty obvious he wouldnt be happy sitting on the bench, when others not as talented are getting England call ups. I guessing he has already spoken to Pep and nothing has happened. So he's gone public.

Cup minutes aren't going to cut it this season for him either. He needs meaningful minutes in the league and CL games where there's something actually on the line (rather than the last dead rubber fixtures of the group when we've already advanced).

With Sane out until the new year (potentially permanently if he ends up leaving), there should be plenty of opportunities for him with Bernardo shifted out to the wing, but Pep needs to actually put his money where his mouth is and start him, rather than just fawn over his abilities in the press conferences.

This is a massive season for him. Needs to be racking up 2000+ minutes in my eyes and it's what he requires if he's to step up next season when Silva leaves. He's also going to be itching to go to the Euro's - he's got the potential to force his way into that squad, but the only way he's going to do it if he gets the opportunities at City.

The bottom line is this.

In July 2020 David Silva leaves Manchester City, and one of two things happens. Either Phil Foden takes over or City go out and buy someone like Auour or Eriksen and Foden. If the second happens, it's almost unthinkable that he'll stay at the club.

That deadline is approaching quickly and Foden is going to need probably a lot of games and 20+ starts in all competitions to develop enough and show enough ability to make Pep abstain from a big signing.

It's good to see him start to push the issue a bit by talking to the press, and maybe that ticks whatever box it is that he needs to convince Pep to give him a game.

Pep obviously trusts him, did everyone forget the Spurs game he started in the title race after going out of the CL. You can’t really ask for a bigger match... I was shocked to see him start such an important match and he even won it for us.

Everyone needs to relax, September just began, he’ll start plenty of matches once we start playing 3 games a week.

If game time is still an issue come December then it’s fine to complain but right now it’s simply too early.

Sadly I think its more likely that we go out and spend big on Silva replacement. If Foden was his replacement he would be certainly coming on at 3-0 vs Brighton, basically to get minutes whenever possible. Didn't happen which is concern IMO.

Just playing in the cups and dead rubber CL matches won't cut the mustard.

In my opinion, we should have let Gundogan's contract expire. This would have allowed to Foden to take his spot next season whilst also giving us the capability to spend big on attacking midfielder as Foden can't replace 2 players obviously. We gave him new juicy deal, so it is what it is.

Sadly I think its more likely that we go out and spend big on Silva replacement. If Foden was his replacement he would be certainly coming on at 3-0 vs Brighton, basically to get minutes whenever possible. Didn't happen which is concern IMO.

Just playing in the cups and dead rubber CL matches won't cut the mustard.

In my opinion, we should have let Gundogan's contract expire. This would have allowed to Foden to take his spot next season whilst also giving us the capability to spend big on attacking midfielder as Foden can't replace 2 players obviously. We gave him new juicy deal, so it is what it is.
Letting Gundogan's contract expire would've been a terrible idea. Our only CMs would've been Bernardo (who's a part-time winger), Kevin, and Foden... and we wouldn't have had a backup DM for when after Fernandinho leaves. We 100% would've gone out and bought a replacement for him, and it probably would've been someone better and younger, too. It's up in the air whether or not we get a Silva replacement (although it's been reported that we won't), but letting Gundo go wouldn't have solved anything.

Look at it this way - it will be easier for Foden to compete with Gundogan than with a new purchase. Letting Gundo go and then spending big on another attacking midfielder, as you suggested, would be a complete slap in the face to Foden. What we have to do now is wait and see if Pep gives him the opportunity to prove that we don't need to buy a Silva replacement next summer.

Last edited:
I’m not bothered if he plays or not to be honest. He doesn’t get anywhere near the starting 11 for me and I only care about the immediate future.

Letting Gundogan's contract expire would've been a terrible idea. Our only CMs would've been Bernardo (who's a part-time winger), Kevin, and Foden... and we wouldn't have had a backup DM for when after Fernandinho leaves. We 100% would've gone out and bought a replacement for him, and it probably would've been someone better and younger, too. It's up in the air whether or not we get a Silva replacement (although it's been reported that we won't), but letting Gundo go wouldn't have solved anything.
I agree keeping Gundogan was very important. Foden is obviously hinting at game time and I think it will come, especially with Laporte's likely long term injury.

Fernandinho will almost exclusively play CB for us this season giving us only Rodri as a DM, I can see Pep using Gundogan to rotate with him, leaving mainly Foden to rotate with David and Kevin, who WILL need rest. We have only had the month of August with 1 game a week, but these guys won't be playing every 3 days for the next few months and Foden will get heavy rotation, I have to believe that to be the case.

Uh oh... Message sent

Him seeing mount , Abraham , Sancho et all playing , wouldn't have sat well him. Yes , Chelsea had the transfer ban , while city in likelihood will get a David Silva replacement next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.