So if/when Mary D's closes

The shamrock is re-opening as a holt's house.

The crown & kettle, castle, gullies, city, fringe(was the bear), all still normal pubs and were there long before the thomas street bars came about and are 15 mins walk

And I never said I wanted pubs to close, but that it is inevitable if any shut they won't re-open as it suits the police and council.

Mary D's is a shit hole and alway has been even before city moved, it was a lovely place when it was Bradford labour club and I spent many a time as a young child in it, but once the beamish bar opened it slowly went down hill.

I would love for a few pubs and bars to be built along the canal or on the side of the ground so fans can drink near by before and after, but that obviously isn't what the authorities want.
Yeah I've not been in Mary Ds for 10+years as it is a shit hole, but it kept a load of people in a place near the ground like Eastlands did too. The Townley has been too busy since the Manchester and Eastlands closed so now you’re not going to be able to get in there at all.

The canal would be an ideal stretch to have a few pubs. I did the walk back to Town after the Brighton game down the canal and thought exactly that! Loads of space for a decent beer garden n’all.

All about having sport on for the early game for me n’all (or the 17:30 game if you get back in time). Loads of decent pubs in Town don’t want to pay (and it is too much to be fair) the thousands you have to, to show sport. The price to show the sport is why the landlord of the Wheatsheaf had to pack it all in a few years ago, it skinted him, after a few years of airing streams before that haha

City Square is absolute shite, not for my era.

I go in the Grove, its excellent.

The only other option is to stay on the tram and go past Clayton Park stop early doors and have a few at the pubs on that road, some good old fashioned boozers.

The River
The Kippax
Summerbees/Maine Road
Eastlands
The Manchester
The Bank of England
Seven Stars
The Mitchell Arms
that one that was called Champagne-something-or-other
The King’s Head
The Shamrock
and soon Mary Ds
...have all closed down near the Etihad SINCE WE MOVED THERE!

What the fuck is going on?!

We’re fucking crying out for more pubs around the Etihad yet they’re all closing.

We must have the lowest number of pubs near a football ground in the country. All that’s left are The Townley which is FAR too busy these days to even bother with within two hours of kick off, The Corner Shop, The Bradford, The Bridge and The Grove.

There are NO pubs between Town and the Etihad!

There are NO pubs in sight of the ground (once Mary Ds goes)!

That’s a fucking joke!

Even in Town, all the decent pubs are Rag pubs, are too small so are fucking packed or don’t show football anymore (like The Wheatsheaf, who stopped showing football and now don’t even let groups of lads in) so you can only catch the early game in some of the shitter places or can’t watch them as they aren’t shown.

And any pubs at the Northern Quarter/Piccadilly end of Town you have to leave too early otherwise you’re stuck in massive queues for the Met or have to walk it.

City Square is a huge no-no! I went the other week pre-game and it was quite frankly pathetic. Overexcitable presenters shouting and whooping down their microphones, with endless streams of kids being asked “what’s your name, how old are you, where are you from?”.. fuck me it was absolutely TERRIBLE!
Pubs can't remain open when people only go in once every 2 weeks, simple.

The River
The Kippax
Summerbees/Maine Road
Eastlands
The Manchester
The Bank of England
Seven Stars
The Mitchell Arms
that one that was called Champagne-something-or-other
The King’s Head
The Shamrock
and soon Mary Ds
...have all closed down near the Etihad SINCE WE MOVED THERE!

What the fuck is going on?!

We’re fucking crying out for more pubs around the Etihad yet they’re all closing.

We must have the lowest number of pubs near a football ground in the country. All that’s left are The Townley which is FAR too busy these days to even bother with within two hours of kick off, The Corner Shop, The Bradford, The Bridge and The Grove.

There are NO pubs between Town and the Etihad!

There are NO pubs in sight of the ground (once Mary Ds goes)!

That’s a fucking joke!

Even in Town, all the decent pubs are Rag pubs, are too small so are fucking packed or don’t show football anymore (like The Wheatsheaf, who stopped showing football and now don’t even let groups of lads in) so you can only catch the early game in some of the shitter places or can’t watch them as they aren’t shown.

And any pubs at the Northern Quarter/Piccadilly end of Town you have to leave too early otherwise you’re stuck in massive queues for the Met or have to walk it.

City Square is a huge no-no! I went the other week pre-game and it was quite frankly pathetic. Overexcitable presenters shouting and whooping down their microphones, with endless streams of kids being asked “what’s your name, how old are you, where are you from?”.. fuck me it was absolutely TERRIBLE!

The Spanking Rodger and the Stadium both north of the ground gone too.

City should show other TV games at the stadium again like they used to.

Pubs can't remain open when people only go in once every 2 weeks, simple.
100%

I’ve actually noticed a resurgence of pubs recently, those that have some financial backing and embrace change, keep things different. Pubs around me in Middleton seem to be thriving, most weekends they’re all busy.

Some pubs further afield I make an effort to go to because they have TVs for all sports, the food is great and cheap, they brew their own beer and have a plethora of other ales. Some do memberships, pay £25pa and you get s pint for £2.85 down from £3.35 amongst other things.

Would I make the effort to go Mary Ds? No. And if you don’t then I’m not sure anyone can moan or have any discontent at them closing.

100%

I’ve actually noticed a resurgence of pubs recently, those that have some financial backing and embrace change, keep things different. Pubs around me in Middleton seem to be thriving, most weekends they’re all busy.

Some pubs further afield I make an effort to go to because they have TVs for all sports, the food is great and cheap, they brew their own beer and have a plethora of other ales. Some do memberships, pay £25pa and you get s pint for £2.85 down from £3.35 amongst other things.

Would I make the effort to go Mary Ds? No. And if you don’t then I’m not sure anyone can moan or have any discontent at them closing.
Top place for a stroll around piss up is mid

100%

Ahh I miss Midd. Must try and get back soon for a weekend.

I’m only talking about pubs near the ground really mate. I grew up in the cross keys basically near mine and that pub is all about the people and the atmosphere.

Mary ds for me is a proper pub with a good atmosphere. Miles better then some of the protentious ones in town
In the Cross Keys last Thursday, great pub and had the finest pint of Old Indie ever.

That doesn’t make sense as they were all open when they didn’t even have matchday punters pre-2003.

I know of the pubs on the bradford side, the Vic was closed 3 days a week and then was due to go completely , the Bradford was really quiet and practically empty and the crossroads didn't open in the day, Mary D's only opened the front bar.

If city had stayed in moss side most would have gone years ago.

As for the platting pubs I don't know as I never went in pre city

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.