So if/when Mary D's closes

Isn't Mary D's owned by a rag? Same person who owns Baldy Bob's in Failsworth? Who Incidentally has taken his money out of the pub game and into the far more lucrative business of nursing homes

The River
The Kippax
Summerbees/Maine Road
Eastlands
The Manchester
The Bank of England
Seven Stars
The Mitchell Arms
that one that was called Champagne-something-or-other
The King’s Head
The Shamrock
and soon Mary Ds
...have all closed down near the Etihad SINCE WE MOVED THERE!

What the fuck is going on?!

We’re fucking crying out for more pubs around the Etihad yet they’re all closing.

We must have the lowest number of pubs near a football ground in the country. All that’s left are The Townley which is FAR too busy these days to even bother with within two hours of kick off, The Corner Shop, The Bradford, The Bridge and The Grove.

There are NO pubs between Town and the Etihad!

There are NO pubs in sight of the ground (once Mary Ds goes)!

That’s a fucking joke!

Even in Town, all the decent pubs are Rag pubs, are too small so are fucking packed or don’t show football anymore (like The Wheatsheaf, who stopped showing football and now don’t even let groups of lads in) so you can only catch the early game in some of the shitter places or can’t watch them as they aren’t shown.

And any pubs at the Northern Quarter/Piccadilly end of Town you have to leave too early otherwise you’re stuck in massive queues for the Met or have to walk it.

City Square is a huge no-no! I went the other week pre-game and it was quite frankly pathetic. Overexcitable presenters shouting and whooping down their microphones, with endless streams of kids being asked “what’s your name, how old are you, where are you from?”.. fuck me it was absolutely TERRIBLE!

You can add the Legh Arms to that long list.

The Vic near the ground only opens on match day.
The bridge isn't a bad pub.
The Grove is the Grove.
I don’t know of The Vic for some reason

Basically, you want a pub crawl built for you. To be used when the weather is good during the football season, me too -)
Indeed!

It’s one of the downsides to modern society that pubs just disappear. When the price of beer goes up too high or have areas where immigrants who come from non-drinking cultures are just dumped in their thousands on an area, people move out of that area and the pubs fail.

It also doesn’t help when armed robbers come in when people are tilling up, or when gangs try and run rackets on pub landlords which becomes unsustainable for the landlord. Loads of pubs have gone missing over the decades because of that.

But they’re part of British culture and I think many should be listed so they can’t just be run done or tossed aside.

It’s the same for Manchester’s three most famous night clubs. The Twisted Wheel, the Haçienda and Sankeys all closed down before they should have.

These sort of places are important to communities and conurbations and the city itself.

I don’t know of The Vic for some reason

Indeed!

It’s one of the downsides to modern society that pubs just disappear. When the price of beer goes up too high or have areas where immigrants who come from non-drinking cultures are just dumped in their thousands on an area, people move out of that area and the pubs fail.

It also doesn’t help when armed robbers come in when people are tilling up, or when gangs try and run rackets on pub landlords which becomes unsustainable for the landlord. Loads of pubs have gone missing over the decades because of that.

But they’re part of British culture and I think many should be listed so they can’t just be run done or tossed aside.

It’s the same for Manchester’s three most famous night clubs. The Twisted Wheel, the Haçienda and Sankeys all closed down before they should have.

These sort of places are important to communities and conurbations and the city itself.

The Queen Vic on grey mare lane opposite st Bridgets, it is the one stop shop now

Also the back of the grove on ashon new rd where the tram runs is the Victoria on croft st, used to be busy when clayton analine was open but is only open match days now

I hated it the other week when I went to City Sq as a one-off.

It wasn’t busy though like it used to be and those in attendance were mostly adults yet everything on the screens were people asking kids to scream to win a competition and then the players names being shouted as they came off the coach.

It was poor and a lot of the crowd there were doing that pull-your-face-shake-your-head thing with what was going on. And after a line of eight kids were all asked “what’s your name, how old are you, where are you from?” people were just walking off.

I’d not been to City Sq for a few years so I thought I’d stick around that day just to get a good feel for it. Was there over an hour.

I will not be going back!
It's silly. They talk to us like we're Blue Peter viewers. The one time I mooched about for any length of time was when we got there really early last season against Spurs and it was to early to go in ground. Ended up winning a signed Ferny shirt in a football competition :)

Also the back of the grove on ashon new rd where the tram runs is the Victoria on croft st, used to be busy when clayton analine was open but is only open match days now

I didn't know that ! I thought the vic on croft street had closed down a few years ago,I might pop in afer the next home game

Had a conversation with someone who worked for Mary D's principal beer supplier a while back who told me the amount of beer they shift on a matchday is insane.

There's couple of spots near the ground where shipping container pop up facilities would work well on a matchday, but I'm not sure how any temporary event notices would be received by GMP. I cant believe someone hasn't previously had a go.

I go in the squash club about once a season and it's alright, although the queues at the bar can be quite tedious and good luck getting @Tim of the Oak to get a round in ;-)

If you are ITK, there is a place where they show live football, good cheap beer on tap, clean toilets, vending machines for tea, coffee and kids' sweets, pies and such, all at half the price of inside the stadium.

And not a coke head or Munich chant in sight or earshot, all within 30 yards of the turnstiles.
Members only ?

Had a conversation with someone who worked for Mary D's principal beer supplier a while back who told me the amount of beer they shift on a matchday is insane.

There's couple of spots near the ground where shipping container pop up facilities would work well on a matchday, but I'm not sure how any temporary event notices would be received by GMP. I cant believe someone hasn't previously had a go.

I go in the squash club about once a season and it's alright, although the queues at the bar can be quite tedious and good luck getting @Tim of the Oak to get a round in ;-)
"There's couple of spots near the ground where shipping container pop up facilities would work well on a matchday "
I've always thought the club should do more with the Academy Stadium on match days , all that space behind the East Stand of the Academy Stadium would make a great bar area and its enclosed too.

I didn't know that ! I thought the vic on croft street had closed down a few years ago,I might pop in afer the next home game

Tbh I haven't been in last season, so it may have I hust know it was open season before

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.