City Women: An Oral History book launch

Gary James

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who came to the launch last night of my new book on City's women's team. I really appreciate the support and I hope you all had a great night. I know quite a few Bluemooners were there (and some were there as former players) so thanks for the support. It was a great night and it was good to see so many former players there. There were also a couple of the former men's team players - Gary Owen & David White (thanks as always for your support) - and Karen Bardsley came along too.

Various photos are being posted on social media, often using the hashtag #citylaunch

If you missed the launch but are interested in a book these are now being listed at various places including

All copies of this first edition are numbered and signed by me.

Thanks again to all those who helped in some way.

Thanks Gary for a great night. I really enjoyed the video footage and your discussions on stage. Credit also to all the players, coaches and administrators that have built the Team and made them an integral part of the World’s greatest football club.

The book is very good. Bring on Saturday and the Derby.

Thanks Gary for a great night. I really enjoyed the video footage and your discussions on stage. Credit also to all the players, coaches and administrators that have built the Team and made them an integral part of the World’s greatest football club.

The book is very good. Bring on Saturday and the Derby.
I really appreciate that. Thanks. I’m glad you enjoyed it and agree that the credit and acclaim for the women and everyone associated with the club is important. They created that club and made it a power.

One thing I have noticed is how much Alex Williams features (sometimes in a minor capacity) in so much that is good about our Club. Maybe, Alex would be a worthy successor to Bernard Halford if he was known as Mr Manchester City.

I know his prediction on the formation of the WSL was a few decades out but he was more like Nostradamus last year when he predicted 2018/19 was going to be a more successful season than 2017/18 (at the previous OSC AGM).

For anyone interested in the book... It’s possible to obtain my new book Manchester City Women: An Oral History direct from me. There are 2 offers: A numbered limited edition of the book signed by me at £16.95 including UK postage OR a numbered limited edition of the book signed by me PLUS a Manchester City Women: An Oral History tote bag, 4 postcards and a reproduction of the earliest City Ladies match programme for £20 including UK postage. To buy either offer email info@manchesterfootball.org and I’ll send you an invoice allowing you to pay by credit/debit card via PayPal.

The book's been featured in the Telegraph, Athletic, City TV and on Radio Manchester so far and has been getting some good feedback. If you're a City fan who thinks 'so what?' about women's football I'd still suggest having a look at it. This is a book about women who played for and represented our club over the last 30 years and their stories are poignant, moving, entertaining and thought-provoking.

It's been some time since I've mentioned my history of the City Ladies/Women's team so I thought I'd give a brief update. The book is now available via The Ginger Wig, the MCWFC OSC, Waterstones and Amazon. Most local bookshops should be able to get copies via the distribution company Gardners or from the publisher direct: accounts@manchesterfootball.org All copies produced are signed and numbered by me (there are 1000 limited edition copies out there) and so either grab the special gift pack (tote bag, reproduction of first programme & 4 postcards plus book at £20: On Amazon go to 'Manchester City Women: An Oral History and select the 'collectible' one for sale by James Ward ) or get the cheapest copy you can find (I don't know how some of these sellers can sell it at these prices - they'll be losing money once postage is paid - but if they think they can do it then go to the cheapest at Amazon.

If you live outside the UK and want a copy email accounts@manchesterfootball.org with your address and they'll calculate postage and sort out payments.

Thanks again to all who have already bought it - and to the women (and men) interviewed. If you are wondering what it's like pop into Waterstones Arndale or Deansgate and have a look before you buy. Some have already said that this is a book that appeals to City fans no matter whether they support the female team or only the male they will find it interesting. Thanks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.