******Cricket Thread******

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to TMS from the Oval. Will Aggers be a little deferential to Sir Geoffrey?

well done to Sir Geoffrey

speaks his mind and knowledge of the game is spot on, the ECB would do well to listen to his idea's ?? and even in the modern game at test cricket its simple when told how to bat and play simple cricket, on one of his master classes on BT-sport even ricky ponting agreed with his idea's by saying just keep it simple and basic learn all the the right things like watching the ball on to the bat, head over the ball, elbow pointing straight, and a good stride, basically saying learn a good defence first and work from there

watching buttler and roy and many others in this england team its clear they are ODI cricketers ?? because the lack of movement in there legs they stand and don't really move forward or back and the feet get stuck in the crease, they have learned to swing from the hips like a golfer and they all have this big gap from bat to body and just stand up tall

look its not going to be a over night job and and quick fix ?? the england set up is crazy and taking the ODI world cup players into test cricket was mad, ok 1 or 2 but 5 or 6 ??? and late summer with pitches coming to a end of there life and bad weather you are asking ODI big hitters to block and stay in for long hours ????

Seems we are moving towards naming an all time best XI team worldwide.

I’ll go with

Gavaskar
Greenwich
Dravid
Tendulkar
Lara
Kallis
Sangakkara
Warne
Marshall
Muralitharan
McGrath

It’s hard though with so many amazing players over the years.
Edit: Missed out Bradman and IVA Richards, but not sure who to drop!
It's impossible to do this because we have no real appreciation of the likes of Grace, Trumper, Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Rhodes, Hutton, Hammond etc.
Your list is a list of players who have been captured regularly on film which is fair enough.

On that basis I'd have Richard in for Dravid and Hayden in for Gavaskar.

Wasim Akram, Imran Khan, Mike Proctor, Barry Richards etc would all be good squad members.

well done to Sir Geoffrey

speaks his mind and knowledge of the game is spot on, the ECB would do well to listen to his idea's ?? and even in the modern game at test cricket its simple when told how to bat and play simple cricket, on one of his master classes on BT-sport even ricky ponting agreed with his idea's by saying just keep it simple and basic learn all the the right things like watching the ball on to the bat, head over the ball, elbow pointing straight, and a good stride, basically saying learn a good defence first and work from there

watching buttler and roy and many others in this england team its clear they are ODI cricketers ?? because the lack of movement in there legs they stand and don't really move forward or back and the feet get stuck in the crease, they have learned to swing from the hips like a golfer and they all have this big gap from bat to body and just stand up tall

look its not going to be a over night job and and quick fix ?? the england set up is crazy and taking the ODI world cup players into test cricket was mad, ok 1 or 2 but 5 or 6 ??? and late summer with pitches coming to a end of there life and bad weather you are asking ODI big hitters to block and stay in for long hours ????

Actually miss him on the TMS podcasts, where he now seems to have been replaced by Vaughan. You sense that some of the younger participants sneer at him, but the truth is that he’s generally spot on in his analysis. How far Test standards have slipped was evidenced by Vaughan recently when he said that Roy should just go out when opening and play in T20 mode, as if that was an acceptable proposition for someone, or a team, opening in a Test. Uncle Algie would never have approved. The other formats of the game have called for sometimes radical changes in technique, but Test cricket batting has not, yet modern culture is so obsessed with instant change that it struggles to accept this reality.

I rather fear that instead of returning to coaching and creating batsmen with an orthodox technique, Smith’s idiosyncratic style will now be held up as an example of how the unorthodox can excel in Test cricket, but that will be to misunderstand just how exceptional he is. Now, where did I put that rhubarb...

Actually miss him on the TMS podcasts, where he now seems to have been replaced by Vaughan. You sense that some of the younger participants sneer at him, but the truth is that he’s generally spot on in his analysis. How far Test standards have slipped was evidenced by Vaughan recently when he said that Roy should just go out when opening and play in T20 mode, as if that was an acceptable proposition for someone, or a team, opening in a Test. Uncle Algie would never have approved. The other formats of the game have called for sometimes radical changes in technique, but Test cricket batting has not, yet modern culture is so obsessed with instant change that it struggles to accept this reality.

I rather fear that instead of returning to coaching and creating batsmen with an orthodox technique, Smith’s idiosyncratic style will now be held up as an example of how the unorthodox can excel in Test cricket, but that will be to misunderstand just how exceptional he is. Now, where did I put that rhubarb...

the thing people are missing here in test cricket is ODI and 20/20 bowlers and there technique had to change to bowl better lines and faster, meaning they can bring that to test cricket and the red ball is deadly with swing and movement of the seam so the batman's have to have higher standers and better defence to keep them out

a good defence is key to any test cricket batters without that you are fighting the game from ball one and the better bowlers will fine you out in a single over and your done in test cricket until you learn to defend

It's impossible to do this because we have no real appreciation of the likes of Grace, Trumper, Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Rhodes, Hutton, Hammond etc.
Your list is a list of players who have been captured regularly on film which is fair enough.

On that basis I'd have Richard in for Dravid and Hayden in for Gavaskar.

Wasim Akram, Imran Khan, Mike Proctor, Barry Richards etc would all be good squad members.

Bradman has to be the biggest shoo-in of the lot surely

Bradman has to be the biggest shoo-in of the lot surely
Yes.

I was trying to ignore him because he's an Aussie ****. I only referenced Trumper because he died young and hadn't developed into a full blown Aussie ****.

Its such a close call, I was thinking both would probably win at home tbh.

That Windies pace attack was unreal, the best ever.

Several 'best evers' imo, The early one with Roberts, Holding, Garner.+ that evil fucker Croft. Then we had Marshall, Walsh, Ambrose, Patterson. Somebody on Sky I think it was, said something about this Australian attack being like the West Indies, but watching it live, it really really isn't, at all.

Good bowlers, but those fuckers were terrifying from 50 yards away.

And regarding batsmen, the Australian team with Warne (genuinely the all time great spin bowler) had batsmen who basically invented the 'take it to the bowler' attitude, where they hit their way out of trouble.

Fantastic, but it required helmets & padding which Greenidge, Richards, Lloyd etc didn't have. They wore caps against Lillie & Thompson, as did poor old Bumble & his plastic codpiece. Thompson was an even scarier motherfucker than the West Indians.

These guys nowardays, defend the short ball by using their heads. They would all be dead.

Incidentally the best bowler I've ever seen, was Wasim Akram. I had the good luck to watch him every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.