Internationals September 5-10 Euro Qualifiers

I think that's a little harsh, he is a bit reactionary, and I agree he might not be the brightest, but he is a capable footballer, what he needs is a good coach (like Pep) that can get into his head (in simple terms), and I think he'd be a pretty good player.

Thought Barkley was the pick of the midfield tonight , at least he tries to create , Henderson is a total waste of space , he passes sideways his crosses are hit and miss , mostly miss , jury's out on Rice too soon to form an opinion. Your correct regarding Pep , if Barkley had a couple of seasons under his tutelage , i think there is an excellent player in there. Mind you i think Pep could make Pogba look half decent :)

I've no great interest in England, though I will watch it if its on, and there are things about Rice, and Barkley that I like, though Barkley does look to have a stupid error in him in every game, and Rice managed it tonight. Henderson though is just terrible, really adds nothing to England. The defence tonight were also dreadful, all of them at some point.
I'm not sure Barkley has the defensive discipline, that "team first" mentality that we'd want from a number 6. He switches off defensively for club(remember that gift he gave to Aguero last season?) and country.

I think Barkley is more in the mould of Oxlade Chamberlain, doesn't provide enough assists or key passes to be considered a playmaker. Has all the greediness of a striker on the ball(can take players on) without the goal return... so not quite a striker either. Both good players that catch the eye with dribbling runs and the odd spectacular goal but I'd rather have purposeful players that fit the system personally. By that I mean, they might get you a goal but if your team play is lacking, they are too individually focused to help control a game when you need it. Or atleast that's the way it seems to me with them. As an example tonight, the amount of times Barkley could have released a runner in space but chose to hang onto the ball, taking an extra touch or two and sometimes opting to try and make something for himself instead and losing possession completely.

All of the above is supposing that we have better options than them in midfield who are ready. Maddison, Mount and Foden might not all be ready for a full pro international tournament come next summer. If they are I would still take Barkley and Chamberlain if fit, they'd be good wildcards to bring on and I suppose we could play either of them on the wings should we be short on options/fitness.

Last edited:
I think that's a little harsh, he is a bit reactionary, and I agree he might not be the brightest, but he is a capable footballer, what he needs is a good coach (like Pep) that can get into his head (in simple terms), and I think he'd be a pretty good player.
Always looks a tad over weight and not quite at the peak of fitness, there is a top class midfielder in there in my opinion doubt if he'll ever be as good as he should be.

I'm not sure Barkley has the defensive discipline, that "team first" mentality that we'd want from a number 6.
I wouldn't use him there to be honest, and Southgate doesn't either, I think he's better used with attacking intent, but can drop back and play that role in the required circumstances, but he's sadly lacking a decent coach, maybe Lampard can do that given time, at least he knows the role.

I think Barkley is more in the mould of Oxlade Chamberlain, doesn't provide enough assists or key passes to be considered a playmaker, has all the greediness of a striker on the ball(can take players on) without the goal return... so not quite a striker either. Both good players that catch the eyes with dribbling runs and the odd spectacular goal but I'd rather have purposeful players that fit the system personally.
I agree, so needs a good coach to get in his head.

I agree, so needs a good coach to get in his head.
Perhaps but there needs to be the willingness to learn a different side of your game, the hunger to do it, as Pep would say. I guess none of the players under Sarri showed that hunger but I didn't see him improve much under him. If we are just limiting it to only Pep or Klopp who can do this, then that's giving the players too much slack for me.

He is only 25 though, so he might just improve and add the missing parts of his game. It does seem to be a familiar story with players from his generation though.

Last edited:
Barkley has the IQ of a kumquat. He’s totally reactionary and should be nowhere near the national team.

Henderson is a poor man’s Milner. What he lacks in technique he replaces with desire, but I agree that moving forward, he isn’t the answer either.

We’ve got Mount, Maddison and Foden to come in for Barkley and Henderson, but there is a dearth of talent at number 6.
England's best no. 6......Delphinho.

another great game from raz. why does keane always look like he's just been smacked across the face with a shovel?

_108744345_kane_sterling.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.