Vincent Kompany testimonial

Milner had a good spell with City but was disappointing towards the end when he led us a merry dance by not saying he was leaving, it was disappointing he left to chase a big pay day, disappointing about some of the things he has said and done since and disappointing that he was a mardarse for not playing last night if it was because he feared being booed. Most of the booing last night was of the pantomime villain type and I am sure his would have been similar.

I do not see how you can compare a potential bit of good natured booing which might have happened from City fans at a friendly with the hate filled booing by Liverpool fans.

I'm pretty sure the club knew he was leaving when he didn't sign the extension.

Why is it disappointing? He went to another job, getting paid more money, to be involved in games more often. If I wasn't a City fan I'd have done the same.

Great evening
Amazing turnout for an amazing man.
Felt very proud of our club. Not sure many other clubs could do the same.
It was clear however that the rag’s old guard were significantly superior to ours.
How things have changed...

Great evening
It was clear however that the rag’s old guard were significantly superior to ours.

That's what stood out to me. You could see the intrinsic talent for many of them that transcends training or fitness - RVP's first touch - that our old players just don't have in the same way. Can't wait for Silva to be in his 50s still seeing balls that people at the top of the stadium couldn't even see.

It was panto booing. He was always a panto villain, but even more so on nights like this when he's revealed himself to be a decent bloke with a strong sense of Manc civic pride. I'm sure he enjoyed it for what it was.

Agree every night like that needs a panto villain and looking at Neville face he seemed to enjoy it. Wasnt sure what Butt was up to seemed to want to kick Bellamy every time...

Great occassion, on the playing side it may have benefited from being played in the summer when more people could maybe have played but on all other fronts I think it was a huge success and well done to everyone playing their part.

I hope if Dave has one it can be for the hospitals that looked after Mateo and it could be a City stars v Spanish XI and invite over Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Puyol et al. and some of Silva's Valencia and Las Palmas friends.

An Aguero one would be interesting if he pulled off bringing Messi along, maybe an Argentinian legends team (Zaba could plsy for both, Demichelis, Ota but bring some fun additions like Batistuta, Crespo etc.)

These occassions are great and can teally benefit a lot of people.
really great idea for Dave

Great evening

Let's see if Virgil is still at Anfield in 2028. If he were then I am certain there wouldn't be a single Norwegian who wouldn't want to be at Analfiend to give the finest Duitch player (after Nige) the send off he deserves!

I'm pretty sure the club knew he was leaving when he didn't sign the extension.

Why is it disappointing? He went to another job, getting paid more money, to be involved in games more often. If I wasn't a City fan I'd have done the same.

If he had said publicly 'I am going when my contract runs out' it would have been accepted by fans - we are City fans not Liverpool after all. He led us a merry dance for months. I am quite sure that contemporary threads on here will show that. I was told he was going in about the January that it was a done deal. This had come from a Daily Mirror reporter but for quite a while after that Milner was making noises he would say and a lot of us hoped he would, perhaps hoping against hope although a man who does not drink should not be trusted;)

He did himself no favours before and after his move, simple as that. Lots of people become free agents - it is the way is is done than matters.

What I liked best was that this was a return to stuff that was commonplace when I was a kid. In the 70s we seemed to have lots of nights like this where the City family would gather to celebrate the career of a legend. We'd bring a few of the players out from the late 60s or even 50s (Still remember seeing Trautmann play in Hart's testimonial when I was about 6). It made us all feel good about our club and our players. Young kids today get to learn a bit about our heritage and seeing Petrov, Ireland, SWP etc. gives them chance to understand a bit more about our City DNA. At a time when our heroes are winning trophies, it's important for younger fans to see those that came before them. I think I'd like to see a mini game - say five/seven a side - played on the pitch (shortened!) as a prematch activity next time we have one of these, involving players from earlier eras such as Hinchcliffe, Brightwell, Dickov, Barnes, Owen - basically anyone who can still play for say 15 minutes each way. Followed by a testimonial of recent stars/internationals.

It's an interesting idea Gary. If they weren't too long retired and not carrying too much wood you could even have a draw for the odd fan to join in, although the club would probably turn it into something corporate!
I worked at the club in the late 70/late 80's, and at the end of the season we had a game on the pitch against the sponsors (Saab, Brother etc) who provided at team with a few ringers. The defence was normally Dowd / Mulhearn, Roy Bailey, McNeil (rip) or John Bond and Skip at right back. In Midfield were the young lads like me who were decent Sunday league standard and sometimes Glyn Pardoe and / or Gary Owen. I can't begin to tell you what a thrill it was to actually be on the pitch and with those legends, I'd grown up watching. Glyn was awesome - many years after that awful leg brake he could still motor up and down.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.