Apple iPhone and more

@FCBarca

I agree the pricing of iPhones (and other flagships) has got out of control in the last few years.

I had a iPhone 6 on contract from almost new for only £22 a month back then. I kept it for 2 and a half years in the hope that Apple would release a full screen phone at a decent price. Well it never happened.

So I bought myself a Android flagship, a Samsung Galaxy S9+ for much cheaper than the equivalent iPhone. It was a lovely phone, fast, great camera, gorgeous screen etc. Annoyingly it died but luckily I was able to get my money back.

At that point I wasn't sure what to do. IPhones were out of the question because of price and I was wary of an expensive Android flagship because of my now perceived fragility of them.

So I've just ended up getting a cheap Huawei phone for not much more than £100. Other than the camera and the screen I can honestly say there's not a huge difference between this Mate 20 Lite and the S9. It's easily as fast if not quicker for day to day tasks and the battery life feels about double!

It's amazing how fast the smartphone industry has progressed and for me this Huawei is proof that pretty much all smartphones will be good enough for most people. The flagships are a huge premium for not a lot of extra these days.

Yep agree and why my next phone will be a cheap £90 one I was going to go for a four year old iphone 6s but new they the price is ridiculously £299 why would anyone pay that for a four year old phone? Half that price I would buy one no chance for that much.

I have a 6 plus, had it for around 4 years now, just needed two new screens due to been a clumsy bastard. It works fine for me I have a £15 all in pay monthly unlimited everything, try getting that now with a new phone your looking at £70 a month. I buy second hand there’s lots of people who upgrade every year or 18 months and I pick up a good deal. I’m totally integrated with Apple with iPad and the watch which is great for exercise and paying for stuff contactless. The best thing I have is the Apple TV 4K a great piece of kit and my collection of films is ever growing due to getting cheap digital codes, the little box is getting constant upgrades does Dolby vision and Atmos great for streaming just a pity it doesn’t do Kodi.

A mate of mine constantly bangs on about his Apple products. He's always having to get his screen fixed on them.

Even now when the high end Android phones are far better, some folk will never change.

Everything has to match. It's a bit OCD.

A mate of mine constantly bangs on about his Apple products. He's always having to get his screen fixed on them.

Even now when the high end Android phones are far better, some folk will never change.

There's definitely something in the OCD bit.

When I filling up my car last night I looked over to see someone had put exactly a tenners worth into the pump opposite... Then the pump to the right of that was the same. And the one next to me had exactly £20 worth. All of them to the penny.

I really don't understand why you wouldn't just fill the tank assuming you had the money. Total waste of time keep going to fill up.

I have a 6 plus, had it for around 4 years now, just needed two new screens due to been a clumsy bastard. It works fine for me I have a £15 all in pay monthly unlimited everything, try getting that now with a new phone your looking at £70 a month. I buy second hand there’s lots of people who upgrade every year or 18 months and I pick up a good deal. I’m totally integrated with Apple with iPad and the watch which is great for exercise and paying for stuff contactless. The best thing I have is the Apple TV 4K a great piece of kit and my collection of films is ever growing due to getting cheap digital codes, the little box is getting constant upgrades does Dolby vision and Atmos great for streaming just a pity it doesn’t do Kodi.
A cheap 4k firestick could do you well for Kodi

For me it's the reliability and integration but obviously comes at a cost, both financially & in terms of privacy. I have not ever had any screen issues but I also started out as a MBP kid rather than iPhones - even now, I shudder at the thought of using a system other than my MBP but that will happen sooner than later I think. Hopefully there's a new OS out there around the corner that will be better and more open

I have a top of the range Samsung phone and tablet . Specs wise there is no comparison - they are better sepc'd than the equivalent Apple products.

That said, when I've done paying for them next year, I'll be back to iPhone and ipad, maybe the iPhone 11 or whatever replaces it next September as I don't need the very top of the range. Reason is I just prefer iOS.to android.

I agree though that up to a few years ago each new phone was a step change to its predecessor bit nowadays it's very small incremental improvements.

I'm not sure what the answer is for the manufacturers, maybe only bring new hardware out every 2 years and work hard to really improve specs?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.