Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Talk, and it is just talk at the moment of pedestrianising Deansgate, but it will certainly happen. The City centre is almost completely devoid of cars in the day when once it was completely choked. What will happen to Manchester Arndale / Market St / St Annes Sq. Debenhams, Kendals?

People even if they could come into Manchester by public transport are not going to. How does this affect City? Not sure, but there's talk of the City centre expanding outwards. Will it? I think there are some massive housing plans near Collyhurst. I see the City growing residentially but as a shopping centre, I think it's done.

As someone who comes back to Manchester about once a month we always use public transport. Makes real sense to us, stay at Hyde Holiday Inn and come in by bus. Costs a fortune to park. If we lived in Manchester we probably wouldn't even have a car. You can get most places without one, no matter what time of the day/night.

Two bits of interest with an oblique reference to MCFC / Manchester:

1) High St survey: https://www.pwc.co.uk/press-room/pr...penings-slump-to-lowest-levels-on-record.html

2) Government reverses moves targeting foreign students' residential status https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49655719. That will have a massive effect on Manchester Universities who were booming on the back of income and fees from overseas students. Overseas companies and wealthy families can pay £30,000 pa to study here (three times what British students pay) which is why a huge proportion of Manchester's student population are foreign students. A significant element of Manchester's rebuilding is down to foreign students enabling the expansion of the University's engineering faculty (off Oxford Rd), and many of the City centre skyscrapers are student-focused. That may sound odd to you given the traditional view of students being skint, and living in bed-sits, and they still do, but if you're studying medicine for 7 years in Manchester and you're an overseas student, you're paying £23,000 a year in tuition fees (10,000 foreign students >>> generates £200m per annum in fees alone).

This is what I believe has fuelled Manchester's construction boom.

This news probably comes too late for Man Met's sport's campus, as I reckon funding would have been a factor. The tap has just been turned on again.

Last edited:
As someone who comes back to Manchester about once a month we always use public transport. Makes real sense to us, stay at Hyde Holiday Inn and come in by bus. Costs a fortune to park. If we lived in Manchester we probably wouldn't even have a car. You can get most places without one, no matter what time of the day/night.
That PWC report I quoted elsewhere discusses changing retail use, not sure if it mentions hotels, but there's definitely been a hotel-building boom in Manchester in recent years. They are going up everywhere. Clearly there's demand.

Talk, and it is just talk at the moment of pedestrianising Deansgate, but it will certainly happen. The City centre is almost completely devoid of cars in the day when once it was completely choked. What will happen to Manchester Arndale / Market St / St Annes Sq. Debenhams, Kendals?

People even if they could come into Manchester by public transport are not going to. How does this affect City? Not sure, but there's talk of the City centre expanding outwards. Will it? I think there are some massive housing plans near Collyhurst. I see the City growing residentially but as a shopping centre, I think it's done.
Damn right they dont use public transport when the metro is a bona fide health risk on match days. My wife got injured in a crush on a tram a couple of seasons ago and we haven't used it since. Make it safe and we would.

Sign the petition.

To: Manchester City Council
Prioritise People not Cars. Please Pedestrianise Deansgate

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petiti...se-deansgate-in-manchester?just_launched=true

COMMENT | Time to reclaim Manchester’s streets

5 Apr 2018, 15:49 Comments (23)

It was the celebrated US city philosopher Lewis Mumford who said: “Forget the damned motorcar, build cities for lovers and friends”. It is a mantra that Manchester could do well to take note of, writes Danny Crump.

9-DF15182-E727-4426-8371-8-DFFA06-F630-D.jpg

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/comment-time-to-reclaim-manchesters-streets/

I would love it if they did that but then if you relied on a car to get into Manchester for essential services like hospitals you might not.

It might be the final death knell for Manchester's shops, or might it trigger a surge of people who want to come into Manchester for restaurants, bars, leisure etc? I don't think there's any point trying to protect the High St from the Internet. It's doomed or going to change radically.

Sat in SS3 for the first time last night, what a contrast on the concourse to the rammed horrible dark EL3 where I usually sit. SS3 is light and airy with plenty of room and much better set up. Even the TVs work!! Think the club could do with looking at bringing the facilties (in EL3) up to those in other stands.

Sat in SS3 for the first time last night, what a contrast on the concourse to the rammed horrible dark EL3 where I usually sit. SS3 is light and airy with plenty of room and much better set up. Even the TVs work!! Think the club could do with looking at bringing the facilties (in EL3) up to those in other stands.
I was sat in Level 1 last night, but my season ticket is in SS3. Appreciate it may be a relative term compared to EL3 but light and airy are not descriptive terms I would use to describe the concourse. Claustrophobic and overcrowded would be more accurate. Theres definitely not enough space relative to the size of the stand. I have previously sat in EL3 though so I know its shit there too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.