Stephen Ireland

He might not have scored as many goals, but the early part of the next season was the best of his career.
I thought he was great for a while with us and was sad when he faded. Last night I thought he bossed the game for the openning 20 minutes and you can see he still has skill, touch and vision. Was great to see his interplay with David. Sadly as the game went on he faded. A bit like his career in microcosm really. What about Mica barking for the ball!

I thought he was great for a while with us and was sad when he faded. Thought he bossed the game for the penning 20 minutes and you can see he has skill, touch and vision. Was great to see his interplay with David. Sadly as the game went on he faded. A bit like his career in microcosm really. What about Mica barking for the ball!
We had a habit of developing players that looked great at first but faded badly, hopefully we've gotten over that.

We had a habit of developing players that looked great at first but faded badly, hopefully we've gotten over that.
Stephen, Michael Johnson, mica. SWP certainly faded last night but that’s ok. He had a bloody good career :-)
Some good memories brought back last night but no comparison to the here and now! Lovely night though, I had two of my granddaughters with us. The youngest dotes in vinnie!

You’d think the US would be a good move for him. Isn’t Bradly Wright Phillips still playing and he’s gotta be about 70.

*I accept there may be some exaggeration in this post*

We don’t talk about and look at players in football like rugby league does about its players. There’s an understanding in RL that some players are good throughout their whole careers while others reach a high level but only for a small window of their careers.

Highly rated Aussie RL players can get high rep honours for state and country and have very elite stats in the league for, say, three years; then for the last eight years of their career end up playing for an average English side, still a steady player, but not that elite player of that small window.

In football we tend to brush aside players who end up average after having their good window. We have more of “what the hell happened to him?” attitude towards that type of player or even ignore the fact they did once have a good spell in the game.

Ireland is one of these. Maybe not elite, even at his best, but he was a very good Premier League midfielder in a midtable side for a couple of years. Good passer of the ball, some big MOTM performances and scored a few cracking goals.

Nice to see him again, but tinted glasses off he wouldn't get in our present second string, playing well in a testimonal against retired players isn't the same as playing in the Prem, I do think he could do a good job still in the lower leagues, suprised he hasn't been picked up on a free

I can't think of a single player I grew up watching in the 90s or 00s before our first title winning season who would get close to this squad, even the ones who looked like they might do something.

You're right, but I think Coton and Curle would have got in the 2012 and 2014 sides.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.