Injury Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel for the lad, Eric was in a rich vein of form and just been picked for the French squad. Let's hope he makes a full recovery and can still play a major part in the second half of the season

Sad news about Laporte but hopefully we can pull through till the Christmas and sign another defender in Jan.

I think it's also time for a youngster from the academy to be given the responsibility. In all these years of investment in the academy, its a fair demand to expect a few academy lads to graduate to our level and be regulars in this team.

Some talent has come forward in recent years but is it really enough considering the investment? Or is it a case of youngsters not being given enough opportunities. I believe its the latter, i struggle to believe we don't have players capable at this level, it's just the lack of opportunities.

So may be the only silver lining post Laporte injury is game time for a young defender which he might not have had if we had a full squad and secondly, if the game percentage for these young players remain the same then their would be more players doing a sancho and it will be our own fault.

We can hate sancho all we want but there is no doubt he is a world class talent that slipped through our hands

Last edited:
Gomez would be a bigger miss than Firmino IMO. They have nobody of similar stature in central defence (VvD was carrying Matip and Lovren) whereas Firmino has added little recently.

Matip had a decent end to last season and it was a surprise he never started this season. Firmino injury would be a huge blow to them, he sets the tempo of the press and also drops deep to add numbers which enables Pool to double upon on you and close down early. He is integral to how they play.

Sad news about Laporte but hopefully we can pull through till the Christmas and sign another defender in Jan.

I think it's also time for a youngster from the academy to be given the responsibility. In all these years of investment in the academy, its a fair demand to expect a few academy lads to graduate to our level and be regulars in this team.

Some talent has come forward in recent years but is it really enough considering the investment? Or is it a case of youngsters not being given enough opportunities. I believe its the latter, i struggle to believe we don't have players capable at this level, it's just the lack of opportunities.

So may be the only silver lining post Laporte injury is game time for a young defender which he might not have had if we had a full squad and secondly, if we the game percentage for these young players remain the same then their would be more players doing a sancho and it will be our own fault.

We can hate sancho all we want but there is no doubt he is a world class talent that slipped through our hands
You can't demand anything,the academy sales pay for a top player for the first team,if we get a player from it who can get into the first team then it's a bonus,you cannot just stick a kid into our first team just to justify the exsistance of the Academy,especially defenders who tend to mature into the role later on generally speaking,we will probably use Garcia and Taylor Bellis (sp) in some cup games,it's a revenue stream,i don't think you are understanding that,sorry,no-one hates Sanch but imo a 17yr old cannot expect to be playing for us in the first team,who would you drop out for him? he had no patience,that's up to him,we can't keep them all

You can't demand anything,the academy sales pay for a top player for the first team,if we get a player from it who can get into the first team then it's a bonus,you cannot just stick a kid into our first team just to justify the exsistance of the Academy,especially defenders who tend to mature into the role later on generally speaking,we will probably use Garcia and Taylor Bellis (sp) in some cup games,it's a revenue stream,i don't think you are understanding that,sorry,no-one hates Sanch but imo a 17yr old cannot expect to be playing for us in the first team,who would you drop out for him? he had no patience,that's up to him,we can't keep them all

That's a very dim view of the academy honesty speaking, if I recall, it has often been said by Khaldun that city wants future first team players to come from the academy. So I guess that was the plan behind building one of the best academies in Europe rather than just using it as a revenue stream.

We haven't been making much in terms of transfer sales overall let alone academy sales to pay for top players like you suggested. I don't think this is the business model we're using to pay for top players but I do believe academy sales would be an important revenue stream in the future.

Sancho does get stick here, If he is good enough to play for one of the biggest clubs in Europe then he was good enough to atleast make his debut here, he might have felt more wanted. However, the way he left was shit.

Point I am trying to make is that we just need to give academy players more games. We have played very strong teams in cups at times when a youngster could have been given an opportunity.

By giving regular chances we will be able to stream line potential first team players much faster. Moreover, it will also increase their transfer value if they perform, meaning more revenue from academy sales.

That's a very dim view of the academy honesty speaking, if I recall, it has often been said by Khaldun that city wants future first team players to come from the academy. So I guess that was the plan behind building one of the best academies in Europe rather than just using it as a revenue stream.

We haven't been making much in terms of transfer sales overall let alone academy sales to pay for top players like you suggested. I don't think this is the business model we're using to pay for top players but I do believe academy sales would be an important revenue stream in the future.

Sancho does get stick here, If he is good enough to play for one of the biggest clubs in Europe then he was good enough to atleast make his debut here, he might have felt more wanted. However, the way he left was shit.

Point I am trying to make is that we just need to give academy players more games. We have played very strong teams in cups at times when a youngster could have been given an opportunity.

By giving regular chances we will be able to stream line potential first team players much faster. Moreover, it will also increase their transfer value if they perform, meaning more revenue from academy sales.

KM was never going to say that 99.9% of academy players were going to be sold for profit, but that doesn’t make it wrong. There’s a heck of a lot of money in developing youth players.

We will always have the odd gem come out, like Foden, but even they struggle to make our first team as it is so good.

Players like Eric García and Harwood-Bellis may well have a chance now if one of Stones, Otamendi or Fernandinho get injured and they may take it and become a first team option. This is borne out of necessity, like Rashford was, rather than choice.

I sincerely hope they make it at City and we have 2 home grown CBs in the future, but the chances of it happening are minimal.

KM was never going to say that 99.9% of academy players were going to be sold for profit, but that doesn’t make it wrong. There’s a heck of a lot of money in developing youth players.

We will always have the odd gem come out, like Foden, but even they struggle to make our first team as it is so good.

Players like Eric García and Harwood-Bellis may well have a chance now if one of Stones, Otamendi or Fernandinho get injured and they may take it and become a first team option. This is borne out of necessity, like Rashford was, rather than choice.

I sincerely hope they make it at City and we have 2 home grown CBs in the future, but the chances of it happening are minimal.

I am all for developing young players and selling them, like I said in my post academy sales would be an important revenue stream for the club in the coming years but we have to give youth players more chances than we do.

Our recruitment at the first team level has been exceptional over the last few years and throughout Abu Dhabi era with few exceptions, so if we have been so good with the first team recruits, it's very likely we have been at the youth level aswell which is evident by the performance of our youth teams at all levels.

So I believe we have players who can deliver at this level and if we give the youth players more opportunities we would discover some real gems.

So may be the only silver lining post Laporte injury is game time for a young defender which he might not have had if we had a full squad and secondly, if the game percentage for these young players remain the same then their would be more players doing a sancho and it will be our own fault.

We won't buy a CB in January, and you may get your wish about the academy lads.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...-play-incredible-says-pep-guardiola-man-city/

"Stones has struggled for form, fitness and confidence over the past six months but Guardiola is backing the England centre-half, Otamendi, Fernandinho, the midfielder who could be used as a makeshift defender, and youngsters Eric Garcia and Taylor Hartwood-Bellis to soften the blow of losing Laporte."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.