Vincent Kompany testimonial

" Vinny is one of a small number of players universally liked and respected. He transcends football rivalry.”

The piece below from a national paper may be of interest.

September 17 2019

Inspirational Vincent Kompany proves football has found a heart

Vincent Kompany is missed by Manchester City as a defender and a leader, a truth universally acknowledged after events at Carrow Road at the weekend. The eloquent Belgian is missed by English football as an ambassador for the Premier League who brought a touch of dignity to the match-day bear pit. Kompany is also missed by English society as an individual who came to these shores and saved lives, who put a roof over the heads of our homeless.

Kompany, 33, embodies the enlightened members of the modern generation of footballers who use their platform for good, his peers in the empathy game including Juan Mata, Raheem Sterling, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Tyrone Mings, James Milner, Danny Rose and Jermain Defoe. The list lengthens. Who cares, wins.Football has found a heart.

Such is the respect for Kompany in particular that the mayor of Greater Manchester, Andy Burnham, who has been working with him on the homeless initiative Tackle4MCR and its A Bed Every Night campaign, can envisage him as a potential successor. In a country struggling for leaders of real substance, whatever your political persuasion, it is no wonder that the most conscientious footballers are appreciated enthusiastically as role models.

Rose, for instance, who speaks out powerfully on racism and mental-health issues, offers more relevance than many of those paid to guide the nation. Rio Ferdinand can access more areas of society, from Peckham to the Palace, far more easily than any politician.

Football players as leaders of society? Burnham nods at the possibility. Formerly MP for Leigh and secretary of state for culture, media and sport, Burnham is sitting in the chairman’s suite at the Etihad Stadium, talking about Kompany’s “moral” force before taking his seat among the 51,602 at the former City captain’s testimonial last Wednesday.

Burnham knows that players have an understanding of the real world. Many grew up in families existing on welfare or minimal earnings, often raised by a single parent, usually the mother, who instills certain values.

They have a work ethic to reach the top, and a sense of togetherness from time spent in diverse dressing rooms. As a life-long Evertonian, Burnham knows how much his club’s players give to Goodison’s renowned community operation which reaches parts that the government can’t.

It should be little surprise that footballers, and especially those with the character to take responsibility such as Kompany, are being spoken about as, perhaps one day, providing some direction to a troubled nation.

“It would be a great thing if that were to happen,” Burnham says. “People are looking for leadership in different ways than it was traditionally provided from the political system. Vincent could step forward to do a role like mine if you’re going to create more mayors around the country — as I think we are — because footballers have such strong identifications with places, and mayors are about place, not party.”

Football is changing, moving away from the perception of players as dilettantes, too selfish to contribute to society. Gareth Southgate, and his “no dickheads” approach to selection with England, has set a new tone. It was not simply the excitement of the journey to the World Cup semi-final that engaged tens of millions with the England squad, it was the connection with a likeable, open bunch of individuals.

Players are now associated more with their foundations than entourages. Of course, some idiots still merrily ride the gravy train, ignoring the scenery, too consumed in their own small, cosseted world. Danny Drinkwater, for one, has to work out his priorities, but the sport has largely sobered up, grown up.

Kompany is leader of the principled pack. Four days after “that” goal against Leicester City last May, Kompany went to a homeless shelter in Ardwick, before travelling to Brighton the next morning for the final challenge in the Premier League title race. “I can’t believe you’re here,” Burnham whispered admiringly to Kompany.

Kompany has used his profile to put something back into society and help the homeless in ManchesterMARTIN RICKETT/PA

Burnham was well aware of the tight schedule and how determined Kompany was to keep City ahead of Liverpool in that draining dash for the line. And yet there he was, the man of the moment, away from the madding media crowd, chatting away to those who had been sleeping rough. He was relaxed, smiling at a “Don’t Shoot, no, Vinny, no” T-shirt, a nod to Pep Guardiola’s thoughts as his centre back lined up 30 yards out against Leicester.

“Oh no, Andy,” Kompany replied of Burnham’s concern. “Before something very major in my life I like to step out of it [football’s bubble] and reconnect with real life. I know I’m in a bubble. The best way I can prepare myself for the game is to come and spend time with people and see real challenges.”

Kompany, the son of a refugee and union leader, has always seen the bigger picture. “He has an awareness of his responsibility,” Burnham says.

When hosting one of Kompany’s fundraisers for Tackle4MCR, Gary Lineker declared: “Vinny is one of a small number of players universally liked and respected. He transcends football rivalry.” Burnham goes further. “Vincent is saving lives.” Thanks to A Bed Every Night, 688 of the 2,003 homeless people it has supported have moved back “to a stable, permanent address” in the past year.

“Vincent’s taken on a moral cause. People are dying on British streets. I don’t think people realise how damaging it is to spend one night sleeping rough, the damage to your physical health, your mental health, people can go into an instant tailspin. The numbers in doorways were just growing all the time.”

So Kompany responded. Emails pinged between player and mayor. “Vincent wants the detail, sometimes he’s come back asking, ‘Has the local authority agreed this?’ ’’ Kompany’s Mancunian wife, Carla, is heavily involved with Tackle4MCR, and asked to accompany Burnham on one of his 6pm city-centre workarounds, talking to people on the streets. No fuss, no publicity, just a desire to understand the scale of the homeless problem.

And now they are gone, back to Kompany’s home land. He has left a substantial legacy, not only footballing with his inspiring leadership and pursuit of trophies, not only in tackling the plight of the homeless, but also quietly encouraging his profession to show compassion. “Vincent has been so exemplary on and off the pitch that the moral authority he carries is greater than any footballer,” Burnham says. “He’s absolutely given of himself completely to the city.

“Vinny’s not the only one. There’s Raheem Sterling and Juan Mata doing good things. Gary Neville has been doing good things in this city for a long time. I know what Jamie Carragher has done in Liverpool with his foundation.

“It’s easy to take potshots at footballers, isn’t it? But this generation of players do embody a greater degree of personal responsibility and leadership on issues. Football’s fragile and they can also see themselves going back to that [difficult circumstances], if they have come from that life, with an injury. We are all just a few bits of bad luck from being in the doorway.”

Kompany understands that, and that’s one of many reasons his time in England was so important. He came, he scored, he made a difference.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.